Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I changed the temp sensor in my 1997 Rodeo with a 3.2. I was having idle problems that were getting out of hand.
Isuzu has placed that sensor in one heck of a place; on the crossover manifold next to the firewall. Actually both of the temp sensors are back there. The 2 prong unit goes to the computer and the 1 prong goes to the guage.
I got to the unit by removing the nuts holding the transfercase in place, and then jacking the transmission up moving the back of the motor off of the firewall. I then used a wire with a loop in it to lift the tab on the wire harness, my hand is not big, but I cold not squeeze in the space to lift the tab. Looped wire worked great. Next I used a 3/4 inch deep, a wobler, and a 12 inch 3/8 extension to get at the sender.
All told took about an hour, and the Rodeo now behaves itself @ idle.

GEG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow... That's a LOT of work for a temp sensor. I usually just slide my hand behind the engine from the passenger side, disconnect the wire harness, and the slide a 19mm deep socket with a 10 inch extension over the sensor. Unscrew, and install in reverse. If you see with your fingers, it's not difficult at all.

·
Registered
165 Posts
belive it or not there is one old CTS, and one new CTS laying somewhere under the intake on my passport lol.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the computer temp sensor in my other Rodeo tonight. There is no way on this planet that you can get at that sensor without either taking the intake off or cutting the rear transfer mount loose and then jacking the unit up to create enough space to get at the sensor. I did the transfer case route again, and this time it took me right at a hour. Even with the motor tilted, there was no way my hand would fit back there. The tilting gives you just enough room to see the sensor, and from there to see what you are doing.
It seems wierd that I have two Rodeo's with about the same mileage having the same erratic idle problem. The good thing is that a new computer temp sensor settled both erratic idles.
The Rodeo that I put the first sensor in now has a smooth idle and has gained close to 1.5 mpg.
GEG

Reactions: Kable

·
Registered
179 Posts
Haha. I had to laugh as this brings back memories when I did this on my Trooper. It's actually the reason the previous owner was selling it. It was in and out of the shop because it would not start when hot. Finally he just decided to sell it. When I bought it, I found this site, learned how to read CEL codes and then figured out that the root cause of this problem was the engine coolant temperature sensor. It was a mother to get to and I recall rigging up a bunch of extensions/universals like you did to get to it. I could feel it with my fingers, but couldn't see it visually. Luckily for me, the sensor was so bad that the plug part was broken off of it so I had some extra room to remove it by hand. That may have been the most difficult repair that I've had to do since I bought it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts