Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I will start from the begining....
I had wanted a small to mid size SUV for some time and had worked at automotive dealerships since I was 17, including a couple of Isuzu dealers. I had (at this point in time) driven and wheeled ALOT of different vehicles and really liked the Rodeos. After alot of shopping around, I bought this truck in 2000 with 14k on the odometer. It was completely stock and almost perfect inside and out. All the options I wanted, 3.2l, 5-speed, power windows, locks, keyless entry, etc... Me being me :shock: , it wasn't stock for long. I added a class III hitch and had the windows tinted Az legal (sort of). Next the tires HAD TO GO! BFG Long-trail a/t's are ok for a pavement queen but I wanted to be able to wheel this thing. I went from a 225/75-16 to a 245/75-16 Dakota M/T from Pep Boys. They worked pretty well off road but wore out quickly being a DD and soon I was looking into something better (bigger). Opon installing 265/75-16 Uniroyal A/T's I found that I had a clearance problem. :oops: so next was the t.b. crank and shackles. Problem solved. Over the years since then the mods have been minimal (and MINIMAL may be over stating it...lol). I did at 55k loose the clutch throw-out bearing. I replaced the entire clutch, pressure plate, disc, throw-out bearing, pilot bushing, etc... This came with an exciting side story. While re-assembling the drive train, I couldn't get the transmission to line up with the pilot bushing. I rented a pilot tool from the local AutoZone and still couldn't get the thing lined up. All the bad thoughts were running through my head until I just happened to drop the tool on the floor of the garage and as it rolled accross the floor, had a slight "wobble" in it. THE DANG TOOL WAS BENT!!!! I took it back to AutoZone and they gave me a brand new pilot tool kit. I lined everything up again and voila!!! Trans dropped back in like butta!!
I Eliminated the HUGE factory muffler and installed a Flowmaster series 40 muffler next (still not obnoxious enough for me but it works) :wink:
Fast forward to me moving to North Carolina and joining the "planet" looking for decent places to 'wheel, and I see all of these wonderfully modified Rodeos, Troopers, Amigos, etc and now I get the itch to start upping the ante. My first endeavor was tires (those Uniroyal's SUCKED in anything that wasn't bone-dry) so I hit up the Planet and before you could talk me out of it, I had my Treadwright Guard Dogs enroute (fantastic tires by the way).This brings me to my next mods. I have on the way to my house, Superwinch Premium locking hubs, a mini-spool for the rear and a new driver side cv axle that seems to have worn out as of my last trip to Uwharrie. :mrgreen:
Now I am going nuts for this stuff to arrive and look forward to dragging you all through my modification process. I will post up pics of the progress along the way and welcome any comments/suggestions :idea: as I go. I should be able to get started on the truck this coming weekend. Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am extremely excited to see this build! I am still trying to decide what I am going to do with my Rodeo exactly, but this summer is going to be exciting. Please post pictures of yours! I would love to see it!!!!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Intremag said:
I am extremely excited to see this build! I am still trying to decide what I am going to do with my Rodeo exactly, but this summer is going to be exciting. Please post pictures of yours! I would love to see it!!!!
Here it is before the TreadWrights....

And after....

Note the stock hubs on front, that will change soon !!!!

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
werent you the one that tried drowning the Rodeo in the water at URE in October???? :p

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lowzone said:
werent you the one that tried drowning the Rodeo in the water at URE in October???? :p
I'll be pleading the 5th on that one.... lol :shock:

I got the new CV axle and manual hubs installed this weekend. Pictures to follow soon.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so as I said earlier, bad CV axle on the left side is now replaced with a NEW unit from O'Reilly's. I also replaced the stock hubs with Superwinch Premiums and repacked wheel bearings while I was in there and here's the Paparazzi photos of the endeavor.

Parts arrival...

Then Install the goodies....
First I completely disassembled both sides, removed wheels, brakes, hubs and rotors. I thoroughly cleaned and repacked the wheel bearings with new seals. Removed the tie rod end from the drivers side, removed upper ball joint and removed the old CV axle. I cleaned and greased the inner housing and installed the new axle assembly...

Reassembled hubs, rotors, brakes, ball joint and steering.
Then began on new hub install. This was almost too easy (for those of you who haven't done it). Very simple operation, Install inner housing of hub assembly, using BLUE Loctite on the six allen head bolts and remember to install the gasket between housing and hub.
Once that was done, I used a bolt to pull the axle out far enough to install the new snap-rings (from Indy4X of course).

With the snap-ring in place...

Next installed the outer hub assembly using Anti-sieze on the six Torx head bolts. I used a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver for this...

And the finished product...

The hubs are easy to use and seem to be well-built. I got them from Summit Racing for $98 shipped to my door.
Hopefully, this weekend or next, I will install the mini-spool from DuraSolid. I will post up pics of the installation process and any snags I may run in to doing that... Wish me luck! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it looks like we are going to get some significant precipitation tomorrow so the spool might have to wait 'til next weekend... I hate when it rains on my days off!!! If I didn't have soooo much crap in my garage, I would just do it in there. Oh well, what's another week right?? :cry:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Ekholm1997 said:
Well, it looks like we are going to get some significant precipitation tomorrow so the spool might have to wait 'til next weekend... I hate when it rains on my days off!!! If I didn't have soooo much crap in my garage, I would just do it in there. Oh well, what's another week right?? :cry:
Spend the rainy days cleaning out the garage.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's really not much of an "organization" problem in my garage, it's more of a "quantity" problem. It is a large two-car garage but with a riding lawn mower, the families bikes, my tool cabinets and such (the list is extensive) I just flat out don't have enough space. I can arrange it so you can pull a car in there but, good luck working on it in there...lol
What I want to do is build a storage building for all the non-essential stuff. Then I would have enough space to work around a vehicle in there.
For now, I just wrench on the vehicles in the driveway in front of the garage (exept during inclement weather).
I should be able to do the spool this weekend.... hopefully :roll:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Ekholm1997 said:
What I want to do is build a storage building for all the non-essential stuff. Then I would have enough space to work around a vehicle in there.
If you are anything like everyone else, you'll fill the storage space, and then get more 'stuff' until the garage is full again.

:wink: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Selador said:
Ekholm1997 said:
If you are anything like everyone else, you'll fill the storage space, and then get more 'stuff' until the garage is full again.

:wink: :lol: :lol:
Damn you Selador, crappin' all over my parade!!!
Probably right though...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so it's been a little longer than "next weekend" but I got started on the mini-spool last night. Snag number one, according to the "Haynes" manual (junk) the wrong info on the rear-end was in there and gave me a little scare :shock: ... Jerry helped me out on that one and I'm back on track now. Looks like I'm going to need a slide-hammer to get the axles out. I have the rear-end on jack stands, wheels and brake rotors off, and rear cover off and drained. Once I have the slide-hammer, I'll remove the axles and diff. I'll post up pics of the process later 'cause I already know "no pics, it didn't happen"....Wish me luck!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Alright getting that thing ready for URE. You have one nice Rodeo, and it works great out on the trails and mud puddles. Gotta love the Isuzu's, lift them a little and put some good tires on them and you have a awsome trail rig.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Wayne. It really has been a great truck so far and should be a little more capable on the trails with the rear-end locked up!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
88bronzetrooper said:
Did you try pulling on the axles with out the slide hammer yet? You only need a slide hammer if there stuck.
I have not tried yet. Truth be told, the slide hammer is one of the few tools that I don't currently have in my tool cabinet so, this was an opportunity for me to make a run (with the boss' approval) to the tool shop... :cheers:
I'm working alot of overtime this week so, I probably won't get back to the truck 'til Friday. So far the weather looks good on Friday so hopefully, it will be finished then. :D

1 - 20 of 115 Posts