Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the car home and started work the other day. First thing to look at was the front passenger window mechanism. After getting the door torn apart we found out what the problem was.

The spool mechanism that winds the cable wasn't tight against the drive wheel and was stripped where it was supposed to grab. Rockauto had just the right thing.

Then drove out to the farm to do some real work. Took some mandatory "before" shots.

New tire comparison.

First thing that we came across were that the brake pads were pretty thin and the brake rotors had quite a few grooves. New ones are on the way. Next up were the cv axles, which had torn upper and lower boots.

We got them taken out, cut the boots off, and inspected the joints. The grease was still very clean and the joints didn't have any play, so it just looks like some new boots are all that is needed. Now it was time for another part that was giving me trouble, the starter. After a few attempt of removing it, a quick search of the forums was required to see how in the h--- you are supposed to get it out of there. We opted for the disassembly method which worked pretty well. Turns out the starter motor would catch at a certain point when spinning, causing quite a few cranks on the key to finally free it and start the engine. (If anyone wants it or is good at fixing starters, PM me and I'll sell it to you for cheap.) Here's the faulty window assembly and starter. The round plastic piece on the gear is what was causing the problem.

Next on the agenda was my 3" lift from Indy4x. Dropped the leafs and shocks from the back and went to work. Only one problem came up. They had forgotten to send the new center bolts for the leafs, because the old ones were too short with the extra leaf. Luckily we were able to scrounge up some bolts that would work, we just had to grind the head down a bit so that it would fit into the hole on the underside of the axle and then cut the bolts to length.

Since I can't put in the cv axle due to the torn boots, I went ahead and did the front ball joint flip with the included spacer from my kit. I also installed the low profile bump stops (not yet installed in the pics).

I owe a big thanks to Colorado (where the car has been its whole life) for making this process a whole lot easier on removing parts.
More to come as parts arrive...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Dang I wish I had a shop like that. I miss living on a farm...
Nice looking Honduzu.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bminder.

Another problem has arisen. I tried mounting my new front shocks but since they are a bigger diameter than the old ones, they rub against the stabilizer bar on the driver side. Currently seeking help in another thread.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyways, got some more parts in today. All new rotors, brake pads, cv boots, a/c belt, alternator belt, and starter.

Here's the rear.

CV axles after being cleaned and ready for the new boots.

Front with new Superwinch locking hubs.

We got the rear all finished and got everything on the front driver side installed. Here's a preview of the final product.

Still haven't cranked the torsion bars, but the front passenger side is up on a jack, that's why the front is sitting up so high. We also got the new starter in after a torturous half hour. Besides that, it's coming together great.

Keep tuned for more...

·
Registered
657 Posts
How difficult was the CV axle halfshaft removal?

My boots are torn and have been torn. I never do boots, I always elect to just get remanned assemblies.

From what I've read, you've gotta drop the entire front drivetrain, then if your new axles don't have the bracket/bearing retainer, get those pressed off the old ones and put on the new ones.

I've been avoiding the job because of this.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
to Pele:
we removed the entire front end assembly except for the differential and inner cv joint housing. we wanted to look at everything and clean/grease it all. to just put some new boots on, this guide shows you how to do it without taking out the hubs, bearings, and brakes. http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/tech/CVboots/?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Looks like it should have come from the factory that way.

Nice job.

Joe

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Is the 32x10.50-16 better known as the 265/75 R16, I'm not familiar with Revo's coming in that particular size. Or is it the 285's??

Curious...as I have the 265's in the Revo's, but your's look bigger.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Believe I have answered my own question by going to Tirerack's website, yes....the 32x10.5 16 equals 265/75 16???

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct, they are 265/75/R16. Hopefully, tomorrow I can crank the torsion bars, replace the window assembly, seafoam it, and change the oil/filter. Maybe some finished product pics will be here soon.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's some more updates on my project:
The other day I had the front windshield replaced due to a crack that was spiderwebbing its way across. Also got the mandatory tire balance and front end alignment that results from new tires and a lift.

Here's a pretty good pic before the new windshield and alignment/balance.

Still haven't gotten around to seafoam and the needed oil/filter/spark plug change, but I did get the a/c pump replaced. The old one worked, but made an awful "whaarrr" sound. I think one of the bearings in it is shot.

One of these days I'll finish up. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Thats one lucky truck :wink:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally finished up the other day so I'll fill you in.

First I did the seafoam treatment (1/3 in the booster line, 1/3 in the crankcase, 1/3 in gas tank). Didn't really smoke that much, maybe I was in good shape to begin with. Here's a video in which you can hear my alternator belt squealing, see some seafoam smoke, hear my engine tick, and hear my muffler rattle (I believe something is loose inside).

To fix the squeal, we removed the alternator and inspected it. It turned smoothly with little resistance so we just cleaned some of the junk out of the pulley grooves, put it back on, and tightened the belt up TIGHT. Goodbye squeal!
Next up were the oil changes. 5.7 quarts of Rotella 5w40 in the crankcase and a Purolator PureOne filter, 85w90 in the differentials, and 15w40 in the transmission and transfer case.

Then it was time for new sparkplugs.

Switching out the sparkplugs wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Just use a sparkplug removal socket that has a rubber washer inside of it that keeps the plug secure when you pull it out. To put the new plugs in, I just grabbed a length of flexible hose that fit snugly on the end of the plug, and then I could insert the plug and get it seated and threaded properly. Then just snug them up with a normal socket.

Now all that was left to do was represent PlanetIsuzoo with some sweet stickers I got from CSS996.

Now it's time for the final comparison shots.

And here is what it looks like after a good cleaning.

Thanks to all those that spent their time reading this. I'm going to start a new thread with my old parts that I'll try to sell for cheap.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha, the tick gives it some character.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
That's one sweet looking rig!

Ok...I'm guessing you're farm is somewhere around the backroads of Limon to Brush highway 71, and or, somewhere around the Burlington, CO area??

Your rims must stick out a tad more then mine.

How do you like the no mud-flap idea?? I had taken mine off for a short time, but tires started flinging rocks and scratching my paint big time.

I too have the Revo's in the same size, I'm running 45psi in mine on all 4 corners with excellent results thus far at around 600 miles on them. They're so new that I haven't even worn off the little new prickles yet.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually the farm is back home in Illinois, but I spend most of the year here in Colorado going to school. Let me tell you, driving from Colorado to Illinois and back is something I'd rather not do again. 8)

I took off my mudflaps because I like the look without them. I have noticed since the tires stick out a bit that they do fling rocks, but it doesn't really bother me.

My tires say max psi of 40. Do yours say that or do you overinflate?

Thanks for the complements guys.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.