Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys! Been surfing these forums a couple of days in anticipation of my new vehicle! 1996 Rodeo S V6 4WD 5spd!

I'm super pumped about getting dirty with this thing and am eager to know EVERYTHING there is to know about these Rodeos!
I have never owned one before and pretty new to it.

So here's my problem. I'm pretty tech savvy and this kind of problem alludes me.

When I shift it into 4WD the indicator light does not come on on the dash. Doesn't matter if its 4H or 4L no dice on the light. I'm not sure if its actually engaging the 4wd or not? I haven't had a chance to put it on jacks and test to see if the hubs are engaging by manually rotating the axle from the transfer case to see if they are locking up.

Do ya'll, in all ya'lls infinite Rodeo wisdom have some insight on why the light wouldn't be turning on/4wd not engaging? oh! and when I have the key in the 'on' position without the motor running the 4wd indicator light is on and green so I know the light works.

I'm excited to be apart of the forum and to learn all about my new toy! haha

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
you shift into 4H or 4L, and start moving, you will know. It may just be the connector on the trans came loose or the bulb burnt out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Find a muddy field and shift into 4wd. Wind down the window and look at the front wheels and try and light them up. If the front wheels spin your in 4wd. The added bonus is you get both yourself and the truck dirty :D

Don't use 4wd in dry non slippy conditions unless going in a straight line. You don't have a centre diff to compensate for the differences in wheel speed when cornering and you can wind-up the drivetrain causing stress. Its a good way of breaking your front locking hubs at the least. Basically use 4wd when you need 4wd ... i.e. when you actually need the extra traction.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I have the key in the on position without the motor running the indicator light is on as a test. I'll have to get it muddy and see.

Possibly could it be the vsv actuators?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FOUND THE PROBLEM! Or at least what it MUST be.

I took of the protection plate and look what I found. Somehow the wires on the Vacuum Shift Motor have been ripped out. No wonder the 4wd is not engaging!

I don't have time to get into taking the motor off just yet cause I have to work tonight.

Does anyone know if I should be able to re-wire it? or am I screwed and have to buy a completely new motor? Anyone with experience taking one of these apart?

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
The actuator is vacuum operated, the wires are for the switch that tells the 4WD controller the actuator is engaged. The switch is replaceable, part # 8-97101-956-2

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buster28 said:
The actuator is vacuum operated, the wires are for the switch that tells the 4WD controller the actuator is engaged. The switch is replaceable, part # 8-97101-956-2
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
You have no idea how much this helps. No one has any idea what switch this is!

here is a picture for anyone reading this post and needs an example.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I experienced the same problem as you just a few months ago, that switch and wire that's ripped out on yours is only for the light to your dash. It's all vacuum ran and the Chilton/Haynes manual doesn't cover much of anything for the 4wd system. main thing is you should get a vacuum hand pump from Autozone and check the system to ensure you have no leaks, then the continuity of the engaging switches (ones grey ones blue). Take them out and rig up some speaker wire to a battery and check your valves to make sure they switch too, its a three way so just blow through it see where the air comes out, then put power to it and blow again lol.The bigger motor looking thing is your actuator, it slides over the inner axle locking your driveline and front 2 wheels. I just hooked my hand pump to the top inlet of the actuator, put my transfer case in 4wd pumped it to about 15 psi and checked my dash. I was in 4wd and the light on my dash was on. So I reconnected the top hose, disconnected the bottom hose, pumped to 15 psi and disengaged my 4wd. Everything on my system seemed good but my blue engaging switch wasn't fully sealing so it wouldnt lock without the help of the hand pump. Cant seem to find them online single or in pairs so I hit up a junk yard and for 6 bucks fixed my problem.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Those VSV's are so vunerable under there on the axle. They moved them up onto the bulkhead on the Frontera's (Rodeo I think in the US) to keep them protected.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rhanagar said:
Those VSV's are so vunerable under there on the axle. They moved them up onto the bulkhead on the Frontera's (Rodeo I think in the US) to keep them protected.
Hmmm sounds like a good project. There is a skid plate that protects them, which isn't in the picture.

·
Registered
30 Posts
keelslashkiel said:
I experienced the same problem as you just a few months ago, that switch and wire that's ripped out on yours is only for the light to your dash. It's all vacuum ran and the Chilton/Haynes manual doesn't cover much of anything for the 4wd system. main thing is you should get a vacuum hand pump from Autozone and check the system to ensure you have no leaks, then the continuity of the engaging switches (ones grey ones blue). Take them out and rig up some speaker wire to a battery and check your valves to make sure they switch too, its a three way so just blow through it see where the air comes out, then put power to it and blow again lol.The bigger motor looking thing is your actuator, it slides over the inner axle locking your driveline and front 2 wheels. I just hooked my hand pump to the top inlet of the actuator, put my transfer case in 4wd pumped it to about 15 psi and checked my dash. I was in 4wd and the light on my dash was on. So I reconnected the top hose, disconnected the bottom hose, pumped to 15 psi and disengaged my 4wd. Everything on my system seemed good but my blue engaging switch wasn't fully sealing so it wouldnt lock without the help of the hand pump. Cant seem to find them online single or in pairs so I hit up a junk yard and for 6 bucks fixed my problem.
http://www.qualityresale.net/product/97 ... -valve-oem

I think this is what you are talking about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having the same issues with right now, only I only have one wire ripped out of mine! Going to put it up on stands tomorrow to see if I am engaging or not, but from the trip I took today, I'm not

1 - 12 of 12 Posts