Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm SO glad I found this place!!! I've taken over doing the maint on my wife's 1996 Trooper V6 3.2L SOHC. It has been a great truck we have had it since 2000.

I tried to do the plugs this weekend and first I was like "Where the heck are the wires??" LOL not realizing the coilpacks are mounted right on top of the plugs. No big deal right? Well for the life of my I cannot get those darn coilpacks off. The philips screws appear to be frozen solid in there.

Any tips for removing the coilpacks? I was afraid to get too carried away for fear of rounding em out. I did some searching but came up empty.

Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Yeah don't use a screwdriver. Use a socket and if it's real tight still, tap on it lightly with a hammer. They shoud come off. Be careful removing the coilpacks they can tend to stick to the plugs if they have been on there any length of time.

Use some dielectric grease on the boots so that next time it will be easier. Also if you have some oil in the plug wells, it's no big deal unless it's excessive. Only thing that's going on here is there is a o ring between the head and the valve cover that can be replaced.

Joe

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just did my plugs. It is 8mm. What plugs are you using?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well now I feel like an arse! 8mm?? They sure looked like screws to me. Well then this should be a piece of cake, thanks for the help all!

I tried to get NGK's since that's what I put in my Saturn but I ended up with Autolites.

Does this engine work better with certain plugs? For example the Satty hates platinum plugs since it has a waste spark cycle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the plugs done. Thanks again for the help!

One of the plugs was pretty fouled up with oil. I suspect a gasket leak. If you're standing in front of the engine compartment, it was the closest plug to you on the left hand side. The other 5 were pristine. Oh well...guess I'll start looking into what it takes to swap the gasket. The truck does burn some oil but not too bad, I'd say normal for 110K miles. Besides a leaking gasket, any other common causes for the plugs to foul up with oil?

·
Registered
454 Posts
So wait a minute here, I also have a 1996 Troops SE with the SOHC 3.2. So I Do NOT have spark plug wires? I'll go out and check for sure tomorrow, I just need to new spark plugs?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Jon242cc said:
So wait a minute here, I also have a 1996 Troops SE with the SOHC 3.2. So I Do NOT have spark plug wires? I'll go out and check for sure tomorrow, I just need to new spark plugs?
that's what you said 4 days ago!
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic ... ht=#130955

trooperbc said:
BUT...don't you have individual coils for each plug?
Jon242cc said:
You know what, I have no Idea, I don't think so, let me go out and check .
are you afraid to find out?

//bc

·
Registered
57 Posts
what's the consensus on type of plugs to use? I've replaced usually every 20k miles since new (now 83k miles) and last time used the NGK Platinum (from Advanced Auto Parts)

I always get a little oil on the plugs and have also replaced the harness a couple times since new (bought parts from St.Charles Isuzu)

93 trooper LS DOHC 3.2L 4WD

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
nina said:
what's the consensus on type of plugs to use? I've replaced usually every 20k miles since new (now 83k miles) and last time used the NGK Platinum (from Advanced Auto Parts)

I always get a little oil on the plugs and have also replaced the harness a couple times since new (bought parts from St.Charles Isuzu)

93 trooper LS DOHC 3.2L 4WD
for your 1993 trooper, denso or ngk. but why change them so often. this is not the good ole bad days. with the modern electronic ignition 100,000 miles is not unusual for spark plugs. did your plugs show any abnormal electrode wear or color or wet condition?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.