Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 Isuzu Rodeo - 3.2L | 4x4 | 235,000 miles
The first thing I did was tint the windows, 15% all the way around, with an 'eyebrow' up top. Next I got some mud tires for it. I replaced all the ignition coils, spark plugs, plug wires, radiator hoses, and timing belt within the last 12 months. I also got Rough Country 9000s all the way around, back in May. I used some Duplicolor Roll-on bedliner to coat my rocker panels, and bumpers in. And Duplicolor spray paint on my stock wheels. And this past weekend I removed the pinstripes, I will try to get some pictures of it since then, and some wheeling pics. I just don't have too much time with college starting in the fall, and all. Let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
looks good!, I like the tint

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about doing a 2" shackle lift with a t-bar crank, but I'm not sure if it'd be worth it. Opinions, everyone? Especially since I'm leaving for college in a month, I just haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Awesome! The "black below the belt" scheme looks great on everything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does it ride after lifting it? That's one of the main things that I'm worried about since I will still be doing some interstate driving in it.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
WsalguoD said:
How does it ride after lifting it? That's one of the main things that I'm worried about since I will still be doing some interstate driving in it.
my 88 is lifted about 1.5", the ride quality didnt change THAT much

·
Registered
326 Posts
WsalguoD said:
I'm a college student such as yourself. I have a 1995 Passport lifted 2.5" in the front and 2" in the rear with the the calmini torsion bar and shackle lift. I had to do 12 hours of interstate driving between Phoenix, AZ and Sacramento, CA.
The driving is a bit stiffer and you feel more bumps in the road, but you get used to it. As far as the ride quality and the stability of the rodeo on the freeway you should be fine. Just make sure to equally crank the torsion bars and align the zu immediately after you lift it. If you plan on doing a lot of interstate driving then I wouldn't crank the bars up any higher than 2". Anything higher than 2" without dropping the differential is not recommended under any circumstances. If you decide to go higher than 2" anyways, keep in mind it will be very difficult for the shop to align your zu. More than likely you will not get a correct alignment (this happened to me).

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this, but nice rodeo! Looks really clean!
I'm a big fan of the blacked out look, the contrast with the white is really nice- and tints are a MUST for me, I feel weird driving a car without them

I think a lift is a must. Nice and cheap, perfect for a college student 8) And it shouldn't affect the ride too much, it's not a big lift

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I would still like to get a lift someday. Maybe in the spring I will be able to. If I got the Indy4x torsion bars, and a shackle kit would my stock length Rough Country shocks be good enough? I know most people when they lift it, they get extended length shocks as well. Opinions on if that is necessary?

Also, I removed my pinstripes back in August so I will try to get some updated pictures up soon. Keep the thoughts/ideas coming!

·
Registered
928 Posts
It's not entirely necessary to get extended length shocks right away, but your stock ones will wear out quicker...
When I do my lift I'm just gonna wait till they get worn out till I replace them

PS new torsion bars are not really necessary either, it would just improve handling
You can easily get away with just putting in some lift springs or spacers, cranking the stock tb's and calling it a day (though you will need an alignment)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I made my shackles out of some scrap steel and paid 10 bucks for grade 8 bolts, cranked the torsion bars and got an alignment. Lift for less than 100 bucks...would make it look more aggresive

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I figured I would give a quick update to my Rodeo. I've finally got time to work on it since I'm home from school for the summer. I've removed all the pinstripes and took off the Niteshades on my corner lights.

The real big project that is now in full swing is to roll on truck bed lining in the "tub". Today I removed all the carpet, console, electronics and the seats. Tomorrow I'm planning on cleaning it all and sanding it. Hopefully if I have time I can get my first layer rolled on as well. Pictures to come soon, just have to get them off of my phone.

UPDATE: Just about finished up the truck bed liner in my interior today. I bought out O'Reilly of the liner and they had to order me more in order for me to finish. Pictures below.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thought I'd give an update. 2 weeks ago I installed an Indy4x shackle lift and cranked my torsion bars to match. Now it sits how I think it should from the factory. The ride didn't change too much. Itis a little stiffer but not bad at all.

Last week I had a Flowmaster installed and my stock tail pipe cut and rolled to come out even with the body. It sounds A LOT better. Not too deep but not "ricy" either.

I also put in a CB radio, with PA speaker that I was able to score a good deal on at Amazon. Mounted it under/on the glove box. I haven't mounted the mic mount for it yet, but you can see the radio below.

-Douglas

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scored me a grille guard at a Pull-a-Part when I went home this past weekend. Cost me $10.93. A couple photos are below, they aren't the best since it was raining out, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the Rodeo had it's first problem *knock on wood* for a while now. The catalytic converter went bad. I was driving it and thought it sounded weird and could hear what sounded like air blowing out a tiny opening or whistling almost. Driving it around trying to figure out what it was, decided it was either the catalytic converter or a vacuum hose. Put it to the floor and RPM or speed did not change at all. Got it to my house and started looking at it and revving it to try to mimic the noise while driving, when doing this I could hear the metal inside the cat rattling around so it was solved that that was the problem. Monday I took it to my exhaust guy and he confirmed that it had gone bad. $280 later and it has a new cat and is running better than before the problem started.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Lookin' good dude! Nice and clean
Did you replace the cat with a stock one? Or an upgrade?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks man! To be honest, I am not sure. I just told the shop that I needed it fixed and they checked it out and said it was indeed bad, then torched it off and put a new one on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts