Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello, I am working on finishing a diesel conversion for my 1995 Trooper. The engine has been rebuilt and installed. It is running well. I am working on some glitches here and there. My goal is to add some off road aspects.

Update 3/12/17 - I've added some updated pics of my project. It was purchased from eBay already started as a diesel conversion. Engine blew shortly after purchase. Started basically from scratch with "new" block. Had the block rebuilt. Added Craigslist off-road goodie finds. Now it's my daily driver after selling my Avalanche.

552089_10151474677329333_858643944_n.jpg

thumb_IMG_7365_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_7372_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_7368_1024.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Reactions: matthew996

·
Registered
72 Posts
2011-09-29_15-40-23_277 2.jpg
This is the "new" block ordered from the U.K.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
IMG_1577.JPG
I ordered an official Isuzu Diesel badge for a large delivery truck application. I though it was fitting to put it on my diesel Trooper. 8) Notice back up lights are now hooked up to correct switch on tranny. Also, I was glad the vehicle inspection and registration went quickly at the DMV (less than 30 minutes). It is now officially a California Diesel!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hey! This is awesome. Please do a full write up if you still have pictures!

This isn't the old Pup diesel is it? Did you import a bigger one from Europe?

·
Registered
72 Posts
IMG_1601.jpg
This is the rebuilt engine imported from the U.K. So far, it is running like a Trooper. There are a few electrical issues; 4WD indicator lights, A/C, tachometer, etc. that need to be cleaned up.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was the original engine conversion done by some unknown mechanical wizard. We bought it with some issues which led to a catastrophic oil leak from the turbo lines causing a spun bearing and damaged crank shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a picture of the heater hose that someone used to connect a severed turbo line. It, of course leaked while my parents were coming out from Arizona causing the engine damage. On the rebuilt "new" block from the U.K., we used petroleum rated hose. I am still trying to track down the correct turbo lines from wrecking yards in the U.K. They should be solid, not severed.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the "new" block I ordered on eBay from the U.K. It had 80K miles which is not bad for a diesel.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is it finally from the U.K. It took the "new" block a few months to arrive by sea and pass through customs, but it made it okay.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the engine rebuilt kit with all gaskets and seals needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the polished turd after being cleaned up. It sat more than a year waiting for parts and stages of the rebuild. It cleaned up well. I took the VW TDI badge off and replaced it with a more fitting Isuzu Diesel badge.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is what I envision my diesel Trooper to look like after I put on the snorkel and roof rack I have already. I want to get a sturdier bumper and rear ladder.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is another form of my future vision for my Trooper. This is someone else's Trooper that I admire.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered some 3rd row seats similar to these from the same donor vehicle I got the engine from in the U.K. I need them to hold my 4 kids. :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was able to find a cheap factory hood scoop for the intercooler similar to this one. Can't wait to put it on. The aftermarket one that's on there now is a bit big while driving.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Love the 3rd row seats. Did you have to custom drill and bolt everthing in? Looks like overhead shoulder belts were part of the deal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All the bolt holes are there just like with the grab handles. If you look under the carpet in the back, you should see them. I'm not sure how I'm going to attach the belt retractor but I'm sure there's bolt holes for that too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
iPhoto Library.png
These are the actual 3rd row seats in the donor U.K. vehicle before shipment. I hope they bolt in and look as factory in my Trooper.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts