Isuzu SUV Forum banner

1995 HONDA PASSPORT electrical problem on my AC system?HELP

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Canucklehead 
#1 ·
I bought this Passport few weeks ago and I knew the AC doesn't work,thought it was easy but it ended up some electrical problem involved.all the fuses and relays are good.checked and tested by few other auto techs from different shops.They found nothing wrong with the ac system .some electrical issue that causing this problem.
The alternator was replaced about a month ago the guy who sold me the car said.after that the ac never work again.and also all the techs told me it might be the one whos causing all the problem.I found a shop that does only starter and alternator work but they said if they touch or replace something and doesn't help anything.I still have to pay for the work.This is starting to make me mad.I'm lost and if anyone can assist me or direct me to what I should do.I will appreciate it.the batery charges good and everything is working normal.Any HELP will be appreciated.
Thanks,
TAKARA_GARAGE

#2 ·
I think more info is needed such as does the compressor engage? Does the fan tun on? Does the A/C button light up? etc.

Also what year is this car?

I would also NEVER EVER go to a shop who says that they'll work on your car but force you to pay for all the work they do even if they fail to fix the problem. If they feel they can't do the work then they shouldn't do anything at all. I would suggest finding a shop that specializes in A/C work.

#3 ·
I think more info is needed such as does the compressor engage? Does the fan tun on? Does the A/C button light up? etc.

Also what year is this car?

I would also NEVER EVER go to a shop who says that they'll work on your car but force you to pay for all the work they do even if they fail to fix the problem. If they feel they can't do the work then they shouldn't do anything at all. I would suggest finding a shop that specializes in A/C work.

#4 ·
If your compressor does not engage, you could have a faulty pressure switch that's located on the dryer or simply be low on R-134A.

A decent mechanic can jumper the pressure switch and do a static pressure test on the low pressure port for an hrs. labor.

I would start with that and forget the goofs at the elect. shop.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies,
This is a 1995 Honda Passport.3.2 V6 ex.4wd.
The AC doesn't work at all.The compressor,and other components also doesn't work.The ac switch,Heater doesn't work.nothing works.This is a electrical problem.but don't know where to start looking.Checked the fusses and relays are fine.the techs asid the same thing.
I'm going to the Honda dealer tommorrow to have it check out but if they said they can't find the problem.what should I do???Please HELP>>
TAKARA_GARAGE

#6 ·
On my car I had nothing working a few months back. The fuses, relays, the resistor pack and everything I could think of checked out ok. I took apart my entire center console, part of the dash and removed the passenger's seat to get access to the cables.

It turned out that my blower motor had melted one of its power cables right where it meets the motor. It shorted after being kicked by a passenger (on my car it sits right over the passenger's toes). I fixed the problem and all my systems started working perfectly again. On my car you don't have to take anything apart to fix that.

Good luck!

#7 ·
¡Oracle! said:
On my car I had nothing working a few months back. The fuses, relays, the resistor pack and everything I could think of checked out ok. I took apart my entire center console, part of the dash and removed the passenger's seat to get access to the cables.

It turned out that my blower motor had melted one of its power cables right where it meets the motor. It shorted after being kicked by a passenger (on my car it sits right over the passenger's toes). I fixed the problem and all my systems started working perfectly again. On my car you don't have to take anything apart to fix that.

Good luck!
I agree with Oracle. All your AC problems do seem as though they could be caused by your blower motor not working (I assume that's what you mean by "Heater doesn't work.nothing works."). Could be something as simple as a bad switch or resistor block. I think that there is a fuse in the resistor block that could be blown and as a result preventing your blower from running thereby stopping the AC from working.

#9 ·
The blower motor power line will be connected to the blower motor. On my 99 Passport it is accessed by looking underneath the glove box between it and the firewall and near the right side of the car. The cables are right there on the bottom, and easily kicked by a passenger.

The resistor pack I never physically located, but I did test the resistance by probing the terminals of the switch block on the dashboard. All checked out OK for me, so I left it at that.

#10 ·
Thank you OR,
I got the car back from the Honda dealer today and the tech told me that I need to replace the alternator negative harness in order to get power into my ac/heater.if this doesn't work I need to also replace my alternator if it's not the right alternator for my Passport.The alternator was replace few months ago by the old owner after that he told me that his ac/heater stop working???
Now I don't know if I only need the harness or also the alternator.the harness will cost me about $420 install.if I ended up replacing the alternator this will add another $360,expensive to get this ac/heater to get back on..are this sound right or kind of fishy.

Thanks,
takaragarage

#11 ·
Takara_Garage said:
Thank you OR,
I got the car back from the Honda dealer today and the tech told me that I need to replace the alternator negative harness in order to get power into my ac/heater.if this doesn't work I need to also replace my alternator if it's not the right alternator for my Passport.The alternator was replace few months ago by the old owner after that he told me that his ac/heater stop working???
Now I don't know if I only need the harness or also the alternator.the harness will cost me about $420 install.if I ended up replacing the alternator this will add another $360,expensive to get this ac/heater to get back on..are this sound right or kind of fishy.

Thanks,
takaragarage
That sounds about right for an OEM alternator.

A few years back I went through three alternators in 10 days trying to gt one that would work. The third one ended up being from the dealer and I think that's somewhere about what I paid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.