Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many other ford autos have a engine that would be bolt in to a 95 explorer.

other than swapping a 2 to 4wd oil pan, or change from Manuel to auto trans.
other than that stuff, possibly looking for a bolt in.

im thinking rangers, explorers and maybe the arostar van :?:
any small ford car in the 90s would have been front drive, so cars are a no go that i know of.
any funky odd ford model im forgetting that has the 4.0L V-6???

this 1995 has the push rod OHV 4.0L
clear oil, clear coolent, clear tale pipe, and a stinker of a rod knock :twisted: :twisted: when shes hot lol that does not sound right.
they did the right thing and stopped driving as soon as possible, so maybe it can be saved.

what ive found....
91/95 are push rod 4.0 only no other engine. sold as 4 or 2wd, auto or manual trans.
95 was the first year of the GEN2 body
96 they added the OPEC 5.0L gas sucking engine........
and in 1997 the SOHC 4.0L came out, the latest the push rod went is 2002 but im guessing there's a lot of changes to it by then.
the other thing that croosed my mined is, 95 is a OBD I year. in 96 they went OBD II :( or was the OBD change a different year?

other than that ill up date as things move on, ive got a tractor to work on first not much good with out 4wd. :cry:

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am confused a little bit. Are you looking for another type of engine to bolt to the factory transmission? If this is the case, you are limited to the engines with the "Taurus" bolt pattern. This includes any Cologne V6 as well as the 4cyls found in the Taurus.

If you are looking for a full driveline swap that can swap in with no real fabrication you have a lot more options to work with. Seeing as these trucks used the A4LD transmission, you are open to use any 4R or 5R transmission. Since you have the 4.0L engine, you should have the 4R55E transmission, but you could swap that around with the 5R55E that came about in 1997 to replace it.

What were you wanting to do? Heck you could bolt a modular to any R series transmission. All you would need is the appropriate bellhousing for the R series trans, and the 5R55E was used behind the 4.6 SOHC as well as the cologne V6.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
trooper T/diesel said:
95 is a OBD I year. in 96 they went OBD II :( or was the OBD change a different year?
96 is when Isuzu did it...

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
forgot about the Mazdas they had the ranger and 2 door explorer clones

im just looking for all the models that are RWD 4.0L and are plug and play that will fit in a 1995.

with the OBD-I system "if that's what it has".

if i find the engine can be saved thats in it at a lower cost, ill do that.
but im thinking cost of replacing or repairing the crank and the rod and what ever else may be bad, would be a wash or will quickly out do the cost of a $500ish complete used engine.

its not my ride, if it was my ride id be asking something very different.
how to put a manual trans, 3.0L V-6 or more likely a 2.3L I-4 in it. and maybe a gear swap
but he lives in a DEQ area, and no interest in mods, so that sorta thing is out the window.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK up date......

got it in the shop and pulled the engine. MAJOR CASE of oil sludge = oil starved lube system :( :(
the pick up tube in the oil pan was mostly plugged. the bad rod is loose on the crank and piston pin....and its major black so it got stinking UBBER HOT :!: :!:

ive located a bolt in engine same VIN code an X type used in 1995
just under 100K in miles, 90 day warranty, running when removed from auto, for $500 sounds fare to me...

also on a different note but the same auto......the flex plate is cracked :?: and it was replaced a few years back :!:
trans had a full over hall about 2004 and in about 2006 the flex plate let loose taking out the converter. the plate and converter was replaced after the trans was flushed.

i know very little about auto tranys, the one thing that stands out to me is there where no flat washers or even lock washers on the six bolts holding on the flex-plate to the crank :? :?
could the lack of washers be what took the fex out or is there a bigger pix im not seeing. :?: :?: that is clear as day to some one else???
i really don't want this guy to have to keep replacing his flex every 10K in miles..... because i know he can not afford too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I don't know that cracked flew plates are particularly common to one vehicle over the other. I doubt that it was supposed to have any washers or anything on those flywheel bolts though that's just a guess on my part but most don't. I've put a little blue locktite on ones I've replaced over the years. Wow, that engine looks like the current Ford commercial with Mike Roe, showing damage caused by neglect!
You may want to go on to Explorer forum and search there for cracked flexplate to see what comes up. I'm currently working on a New Beetle and joined their forum to find what that particular cars weak points are. One I have to deal with is complete dash removal to repair the foam around the heater door!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes been doing lots of looking, and found its a very common issue....

ive found there's an up-grade flex, and its spose to fix the problem...but only available thru ford as far as i have found so far....

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
There is a better flex-plate available but the breaking usually has a cause. Missing dowel pins between the engine and trans can do this as well as loose bellhousing bolts.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have the engine, will be checking it for sludge be for installing :roll:

the good....
it did come with a 30 day no questions asked warranty for $50 8)

the bad.....
its out of a manual so a flex-plate must still be had :(

i will get some photos up....

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
going down to do a compression test now, used the old flex and welded a junk old socket to it to spin it with a 5\8s drive drill.
ill pull all the plugs, just the one im testing will be under compression.

should it pass that test, then its on to pulling pan rocker covers for a sludge inspection, and then changing leaky seals over the timing chain.

im very much looking forward to this thing being gone and back to zoos :bigsmurf:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it failed :!:

75 for a low on one, 135 for a high on two pistons, the rest where about 85/100 psi.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the place i got it from has another one, ill take this one back. and compression test that one "on site".
should it fail that will save me 150 miles of driving. or right about 0.14 cents per mile

and ill go get the $500 one :(

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the engine they had was even worse. so i left bolt h there.

found a engine out of a 95 model.
its nice, only miner oil leaks that a few seals will fix.

and good compression.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i got it in and most of the wiring plugged in, and....................

MASSIVE fuel leak, pull hole intake back off to replace O-rings on the injectors :( :(

so ive yet to see it run......or turn over. :blackeye:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got the leak fixed, did a test fire. AND IT LIVES MUH HA HA HA HA :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

other then some smoke from the compression test, and running it for no more then 30 sec with no water, no tale pipe, and it being in default mode it ran pretty good considering.

man im looking forward to working on ZOOs big time :!: this thing is the pits.......

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
filled it with water and ran it 1/2 hour.
its got a miss, check light comes on after 5 min or so.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
according to the scan tool...... ive got a EGR emissions code.

it has a random miss at low rpms, at higher rpms it runs smooth and strong.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok got that done i think, idel is smooth.

now at about 2,000rpms it will run fine, but turn on the A\C and it misses for a bit and throes a code.
will run at idel or 3,000 rpms with A\C on and no code :? :? :? :?

need to scan it agen. the fun never ends with EEC :roll:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts