Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I unfortunatly have to replace the clutch on my 1995.5 Rodeo with a v6 and 4X4. Does anyone know what the parts and labor will cost roughly? I am new to my area and don't want to get taken to the cleaners. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
i've been looking at the option of doing it myself on my 1995.0, but also trying to get some qwotes....

The clutch kit, can be purchased for around $300, try not to pay too much more for it... It might be possible to find it cheaper than that.

(that includes pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pressure plate, and clutch)....

that's for the 10.25" clutch... i assume you have the MUA5-speed.

laybor... i'm still trying to find some good estimates. because i'm not so sure i want to do this project myself...

I was qwoted $761 for laybor by a shop that I have always had good luck with on previous vehicles... but that also included replacing the slave cylinder. i'm not too thrilled about that qwote... i think i'll call around some more.. if i can find a place to do it for under $400... i might have someone else do it... it's winter here.. doing a clutch in the home garage on the cold floor, wouldn't be any fun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a quote recently that was $700 just to remove the transmission prior to diagnosis, repair, or whatever. I ended up putting in a used trans myself.
mdocod, if you have a shop buddy or two (burly, if possible, or else one of those wirey guys with the crusher grip), and a transmission jack, hardly any rust underneath, including/especially exhaust system rust, and at least a mapp torch (hotter than propane, so you can get a stuck nut red-hot when you need to), then these would be factors in favor of doing the job yourself.
If you are working alone and fighting rust every step of the way, and don't have easy access to an engine hoist and transmission jack, heat wrench, air tools, etc., it will be so labor intensive you will wish you had just paid a shop to do it.
Sean from Michigan

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you're really a gung-ho car-worker-onner, or just really cheap, the best way to go if you don't want to work on it cause its cold is to rent one of those torpedo heaters for a few days. Saves money in the long run.
Or you could buy one with the amount you spend on a shop to do it, don't really know how much one costs.
All this hinges on whether you've got a garage though. If you're outside, I'm sorry.

I have been known to cart the space heater out from inside and point it at me for a winter wrenching session. *cold* Plus if you get a tray and set it in front of it, it will preheat the wrenches for you, helping with the cold fingers a little.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the record. I just got my clutch replaced and when all was said and done it was $1200. My mechanic was even surprised and said it was definetly one of the most expensive clutch repairs out there. Anyway. Save your dough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did mine Jan/Feb of 05. Its not that tough of a job with a buddy to help you. I also have a slightly used cluthch set I would let go for cheap if youre interested. Make sure you have access to a tranny jack or at least a floor jack and a couple of loooong 3/8 extensions (at least 2 twelve inchers) to get at the top two tranny bolts. Also dont forget to dajust the pedal stop bolt on the clutch pedal when you are done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.