Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am hoping someone has tackled the head gaskets on 1995.5 Rodeo before. I have a done plenty of head gaskets and some timing belts but ironically never done a head gasket on a V6, or one with a timing belt for that matter. But I am not too worried about it. I got a tip from an isuzu guy and spoke to MErlin the parts guy in Missouri. I have a complete gasket kit coming, and a timing belt and that is it. I was told I can reuse the head bolts? The gasket was cooked because the car overheated. Ijust installed a new radiator, but something was wierd with the old coolant system. The whole radiator was bowed out in the middle about a 1" overall expansion and really looked funky! So I replaced the radiator, had the cap on as I was filling attempting to remove any air bubbles and there is a noticable sound of air coming into the coolant system - ie a blown head gasket. So it is really pressurizing. I think it is also burning a little coolant but runs really well. I have not done a compression test but I actually speculate compression is pretty good. Also, do these have aluminum heads or is this a steel engine. Should I be worried about the heads and getting them machined and such? Thank you guys...!

Andre in Utah

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also any wierd installation tips or anything I should know about/be concerned about. As bad as it sounds I am going to pickup a haynes manual to be safe and make sure I don't forget anything as I am not familiar with this engine. Thanks! Andre

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you're a decent mechanic, you shouldn't have any problems. I've never done a SOHC engine, but my DOHC wasn't too bad. If it's the driver's side, you will probably have to take off the brake booster. The bolts are a little hard to get to, but not impossible. Just take your time. Label everything. And, watch those timing marks. Make sure everything is lined up, before you take the belt off.

The heads are aluminum, so plan on having them resurfaced. Try to find a shop that can check them for cracks. I didn't; and now I've got to do it all over again once I find a new head.

You might as well replace the water pump while you're at it. Also, there's a hydraulic tensioner for the belt. When it goes bad it sounds like a rod knocking. Go ahead and replace that too.

Don't put too much stock in a compression test. Mine wasn't all that low, even though it was obvious by the exhaust that I had a problem. If you want to locate the leak, this is what I recommend:

1) remove all sparks plugs
2) add one spark plug and crank the engine a few times
3) now remove the radiator cap
4) If it was under pressure, you found the cylinder that has the leak
5) continue testing all cylinders until one or more pressurizes the cooling system.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.