Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is the start of a long project. This is really just a "starting point" picture, but it doesn't do it justice. I picked this Rodeo up from a coworker for an "off the paved road" vehicle. The interior was trashed. Full of dirt, stains, general grime, and every panel has holes in it. The driver seat is torn. The clutch was inop. No radio or speakers. Etc...etc...

I brought it home, and it was dubbed "The Dirty Jalapeno" due to a comment from a friend about it's color and need of tlc.

I didn't take any pictures of the interior before I replaced some of it and in retrospect, I should have. Anyway..

Heres a list of what has already been done:

Cleaned carpets
Replaced interior panels on all 4 doors
Installed roof rack
Painted "herculiner" over faded back window exterior trim
Replaced clutch master and slave cylinder
Replaced fuel filter/oil change/oil filter
Replaced shocks, 4 corners
Replaced pneumatic window lifts for rear window
Fixed internal electrical problems (inop windows, door lights, power locks)
Fixed rear seat latches (wouldn't latch)

Current Probs:
ABS indicator
Brake indicator
3rd brake light lens cracked
Right blinker cracked
Driver seat torn
Power steering leak
Left front axle CV bad

Near future repair (parts already on order or in my posession)

Indy4x torsion bars
indy4x shackles
OME leaf springs
shorter bump-stops/ball joint spacers
steel brake lines, all 4 corners

Future Plans:
Spare tire mount being powdercoated (soon)
Wheels/Tires (help!)
Herculiner strip around base of truck (soon)
Herculiner roof under the rack (soon)
Front bumper replacement
improved skid plates
rock sliders (I'm not building it to crawl, just survive rock bottom creek crossings and local terrain)
rust prevention/repair
window tint
shock relocation to axle
radio install
And so on and so forth...

It's an ongoing project, and I make at least a little progress every week, so watch for updates. Any suggestions are welcomed...

Here is a baseline picture, and a picture of the herculined trim.

·
Registered
101 Posts
:lol: Awesome name for your Rodeo! How long has your trim been Herculined? Hows it holding up? I didn't realize it sticks well to plastic.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's pretty fresh still. It'll stick to just about anything that's prepped. I removed the trim from the vehicle and cleaned it with alcohol. Then I sanded it with a semi aggressive grit so it would remove all the UV damaged coating and any weak plastic. I then cleaned it again with a chemical called MEK. Alcohol would likely work fine too. The product has a list of accepted chemical cleaners. I used a brush to dab it on with good results. I used two coats, with a 4 hour dry time between applications.

They now have a UV protectant that they sell from the same manufacturer so I will be painting that on soon. It says it prevents the color loss.

It's also available in several colors now, including black, white, red, and grey. I've only used the white and black, but both are similar. The colors take longer to cure.

I'll be doing some more of the truck on Sunday, weather permitting. I'll post pics of whatever I do.

Be sure to wear a respirator. This stuff is actually on OSHA's hit list because it's caused some serious lung problems. I used a 3m full face respirator with the chemical filters. So far so good :p

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
our rodeo's are twins!

except mine is a DD :lol:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:D wow cool name for your rodeo 8) recon

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did a little bit of work tonight after work. Did a little of the "boring stuff" no one really cares about (parking light bulbs, cleaning, etc). Also did some fun stuff. Here is a couple of pictures from the work I had already done to the trim around the rear window.

I masked off the sides for painting with Herculiner tomorrow. I also sanded my roof to prep for Herculiner.

I installed my freshly painted tow hooks this afternoon also. I removed them on Thursday and took them to work and glass beaded them. Then I painted them with rust preventative aerosol.

I have before and after pics of the hooks, but I don't see the need to post. They were rusty. I media blasted them, they were silver. Then I painted them... lol. I also replaced the hardware with grade 8 bolts. The factory ones were also grade 8.

More to come tomorrow evening....

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
nice

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another day of progress...

Today I was able to paint the roof with bedliner. I used a roller to apply the first coat, then got all the edges with a brush. Then I let it sit in the sun and bake for about 2 hours. I applied the second coat with a brush. Then I let it sit in the sun for about 4 hours.

While I waited for the paint to dry, I cut my tracks for my roof rack about 4 inches shorter than they came. I'm using aftermarket racks. I couldn't find much available for the first gen's, so I bought a rack for a second gen, and then just drilled new holes in the track to match my factory key inserts in my roof (rather than drill new holes in my roof....). I haven't finished installing the rack yet, because I need to cut my crossbars down to 48". They are 55" right now. I'll get it on by next weekend.

I also pulled my trim from my drivers side lower dash and steering column. I gave them a bath in dawn soap and hot water. I haven't reinstalled them yet, because I'm swapping my steering wheel out for a Grant.

Additionally, I pulled off a beauty ring from my wheel to see if I could polish it up a bit. I made very little progress with this so far, but it's something that just takes time and elbow grease.

So, heres pics :D

This was the start of the morning...

After the first coat..

The waiting period...

A few beers....

Second coat...

The second waiting period..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still haven't painted the sides. That'll come.

Currently working on the roof rack, but had to update because I got a package today.

Here's what I got....

Torsions, OME leafs, longer steel brake lines, bushings, bump stops, shackles, spacers.

Coming soon... :D

Heres the roof, a week later. (still haven't installed the little plastic caps...)

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
That jalapeno is certainly going to get pretty hot in that Cali sun, with a black roof.

:lol:

·
Registered
606 Posts
where in cali are you?

i have a set of mickey thompson rims f/s :)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:D :D wow cool.i am really looking forward to seeing the progress of your cool rodeo 8) recon

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, It's been the better part of a year since I updated anything on my truck, but it's been a busy year. I'll have quite a few new posts coming up, and I apologize for the delay. I've recently been granted a lot of free time, so I will make some progress finally. Yesterday I began work again on the Dirty Jalapeño by putting new shoes on it. About 6 months ago I ordered some Cragar Soft 8's in 15 inch. I got 5 of them, because I want the full size spare. Maybe 3 months ago, I finally got tires put on them. I went with 31x10.5 Falken High Country tires. I finally put them on the truck yesterday. I left off the front left tire and the spare. I will start pulling the front left axle tomorrow to replace it due to a torn cv that pre-existed my ownership. I left the spare off so I could paint the carrier, and so I could tap the bolt holes. I also need to chase the threads on the front left wheel stud because one stud had no lug on it, for an ungodly amount of time. I ordered some manual hubs for it, and those should be here in about 3 weeks (backordered on Summit). Theres a guy in town parting out a '93, so I may go pick up a handful of misc parts too. Have a little more painting to do too... Lot's coming up guys, it's good to be back. :D

Mrfipp

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Today I made a short trip out to the scrap yard. I have a laundry list of things my truck needs, so I hoped to find a donor. What I found was a sad sight.
Heres some pics of the poor trucks nobody loves anymore. :(

The black Passport is my donor. She was lucky enough to have tinted windows in her day, and that saved some goodies for me from UV destruction.

Heres the interior I took.

I just hosed them off, so I'm letting them dry and then I'll clean them really well before I install. I also scored a third brake light housing, some rear speaker housings I'll try to make work in my Rodeo, and new bolts for my spare tire carrier. Mine were stripped. The guys there are doing the dirty work for me and pulling a shock mount for the right rear, because the one I have, is stripped. Apparently whoever owned my truck before me, didn't know the difference between tightening a bolt and cross-threading it. I tapped the spare carrier this morning, and I'll get that tire mounted this evening. More pics coming later...

Mrfipp

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's some pics I failed to post a few months back. They are from when I installed the OME leafs, Independent4x bushings, shackles, and the Sway-A-Way torsions.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Replaced my left front axle today. The CV was in pieces, with a bunch of it missing. The CV boot has been torn since before I bought it, so it doesn't really surprise me. I had put it in 4wd once before, just to see if it worked, and heard the joint clicking away. I have some manual hubs coming next week, but I was tired of waiting, so I just put the axle in and the auto locking hub back on. At this point, all the wheels are on the truck, and I'm basically done with mechanical repair for a week or so. I'll be swapping my interior this weekend, and a few other small projects. Here's some pics from today.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts