Isuzu SUV Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Enemigo said:
How are you boosted guys tuning on these Isuzu engines?
All the tuning you need is fuel to air ratio. No ECM adjustments needed. All you need is fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump and possibly bigger injectors.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Enemigo said:
It's been about 15 years since I got into turbo stuff, and it was on Hondas. Is the lack of fine tuning mostly because no one makes anything (like Hondata), most people running low boost, or both?
Its mostly because these things are so old that the ECM's arent adaptive enough to counteract what you're trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Okay, that's pretty much what I figured. The zero gearing options for the '98+ Troopers makes a low boost application seem pretty enticing. As if we didn't already have enough maintenance to deal with.

This is my first time seeing your Amigo build thread by the way. Great work on the bumpers. How does the turbo do in real world scenarios? I saw you used the Impulse turbo, but as mentioned before, I've been out of the turbo game for so long I don't have any knowledge of what you're dealing with. I imagine that turbo is pretty small like a factory DSM or Saab T3 turbo. When does it build boost for you?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Enemigo said:
Okay, that's pretty much what I figured. The zero gearing options for the '98+ Troopers makes a low boost application seem pretty enticing. As if we didn't already have enough maintenance to deal with.

This is my first time seeing your Amigo build thread by the way. Great work on the bumpers. How does the turbo do in real world scenarios? I saw you used the Impulse turbo, but as mentioned before, I've been out of the turbo game for so long I don't have any knowledge of what you're dealing with. I imagine that turbo is pretty small like a factory DSM or Saab T3 turbo. When does it build boost for you?
You feel a little difference in acceleration with minimal lag. I'd say the top-end has improved to get up to freeway speeds quicker, however it will run hot at constant high rpm. It's most practical use is in low gear while crawling. The extra torque is fantastic in 4x4.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That's very interesting. I only ever turbo'd a 1990 Integra, which was pretty high revving compared to a Trooper. I have little experience with a small turbo and it sounds perfect for the application. I better stop thinking about boost before I start making unrealistic plans.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.