Isuzu SUV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Got a lot done in the past month. Installed the bumpers and lights and the rear shackles. I was expecting to lift it considerably in the back with the shackles and compensate with T-bars in the front. Turns out the shackles just leveled out the back since the sag was pretty bad. In the future Ill be looking into suspension lift options. I just replaced the shocks with OE replacements but offroad you really feel every bump. I want to get a little more cushion out of it when I lift it up so if anyone knows the best way to do that I'm all ears.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Had the first chance to take the Amigo out to Ashley National Forest for a deer hunt. The hunt was a success and so was the Amgio, it performed wonderfully. I was hoping to find an excuse to use the 4wd but even the nastiest stuff we crossed handled great in 2wd. Still got to get some mud on it though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
After a lot of consideration and talking to Jerry along with other PI members, I decided to do a turbo install. I managed to find the last 2 80's Impulse turbochargers I could find anywhere on the internet (one from Colorado and another from Florida) along with one exhaust manifold. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate a downpipe so I'm in the process of building one. I made a cardboard template from the turbo and cut it out on 1/2" on a CNC machine. The rest was 90-degree pipe that I stacked onto each other. My challenge right now is figuring out how to add the EGR pipe. If anyone has an extra EGR flange/pipe that they would be willing to sell I would like to use it to build an adaptor to the new downpipe. I need the part that mates onto the OEM 2.6 exhaust manifold with a section of small pipe that goes to the EGR.
I sandblasted the Manifold and scored with one of the turbos. It was rebuilt back in 2007 and been sitting on a shelf ever since. Talk about luck. I just ordered all the ductwork for the airflow. We'll see if my estimations were right or even close. I got the intercooler from an Audi A4, but now I'm considering not using an intercooler.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,190 Posts
Read through your posts, and really like how you are building your Gen. one Amigo. I had a 90 several years back and sold it, and wish I hadn't. I really like the turning radius. My 89 RS has the same short wheelbase.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Cool Amigo, and the trubo setup is looking fun.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Last weekend I got the Turbo Installed.

Pre-op shot

The Air pump is in the way if you use the Impulse turbo manifold. I didn't want to delete it out of fear to fail our strict emissions tests in Utah. I managed to cut off a quarter of the mounting bracket and retain full use of the pump.

For the oil feed I used a standard T from O'reillies and attached the oil pressure sensor at the end. I used a lot of gas-resistant Teflon tape, but the picture was from when I was fitting it up. For the return I drilled a hole in the top of the oil pan and used a pressure bung and JB weld to seal it.

For the EGR it was a little tricky. There's two different styles used on the 2.6L. The older style as used on the '87 impulse manifold uses a round 22mm pressure fitting. The never fitting on the amigo has a flange secured with two bolts. I went to a pick n pull and found a 1st gen trooper that shared the same style as the Impulse and used a 90-degree 1/2" copper elbow to adapt the amigos EGR to the older style. It was relatively easy. I thought that the EGR pipes were copper based on appearance but it turns out they are stainless. You can solder Copper and stainless together but it requires special flux and solder. I ended up brushing the joints with Quick Steel for exhaust applications. I was skeptical but so far it seems to hold up really well and was easy to apply. Its supposed to withstand temperatures exceeding 2000F.

I painted the manifold and downpipe with "exhaust" rattle can paint. I mostly wanted to prevent corrosion. As I figured its pretty trashy. It discolored and scorched after 15 minutes. It still has a coating on it and as long as it prevents rust that all I really care about.

Refinished the valve cover while I was at it

Finished

I still have a list of things to finish. I have a mild oil drip while running that I believe is coming from the return, so I need to chase that down. I haven't adjusted the fuel pressure yet. I bought a nice rising-rate fuel pressure regulator but the fuel rail adaptor was not the right size, so I ordered the correct one off of JEGS today. Right now I can push a solid 2-3 PSI boost according to the gauge, which is a lot lower then I'm shooting for. I believe the fuel pressure may be the culprit as well as possible a slight exhaust leak. But its functional and you can feel the difference in the takeoff and the top end on the freeway. I can't wait what it will feel like at 9PSI.

Special thanks to Jerry who quickly and willingly responded to tons of messages I sent. Also thanks to everyone else who helped with tips and advice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
great write up! thank you. We are thinking about a turbo build on my sons 93. This thread is just what I'm looking for. Question tho. before you started the turbo build, did you consider doing a motor swap to a 4.3l or v8? Ive looked at buying a kit. but for the price and the added hp and torque I could swap a stock v8 and be ahead.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
rocksbite said:
great write up! thank you. We are thinking about a turbo build on my sons 93. This thread is just what I'm looking for. Question tho. before you started the turbo build, did you consider doing a motor swap to a 4.3l or v8? Ive looked at buying a kit. but for the price and the added hp and torque I could swap a stock v8 and be ahead.
I really like the fuel economy of the 2.6L. When you get a well balanced 4ZE1 it performs great. If I wanted a bigger engine I wouldn't have bought an Isuzu. I think the 2.6 is the perfect engine for the size of the Amigo, but maybe a tad under-powered. With the turbo it makes it just right and pretty fun. I also really like how easy it is to work on the 4ZE1.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
After the turbo install I had some Oil, Coolant, and Exhaust leaks and so it's been sitting in the driveway since cold weather has been deterring me from finishing what I started. Now im glad to report that I've resolved all the issues with leaks and have it back on the road. I had to pass emissions this year and I was glad that my exhaust modifications didn't keep it from passing.

Engine bay now. I'm planning on relocating the OEM vacuum hoses to pre-turbo intake as recommended by Jerry. The fuel pressure regulator has been working great.

Put the 3D printer to use to make a boost guage/CB radio bracket made to fit in the lower dash pocket. Also printed an adapter to install 6x9 speakers in the OE spot without any cutting or drilling.

Side by side with a friends newly acquired '90 trooper.

Shout out to Ron (Lowzone) for hooking me up with these sweet new aftermarket fender flares. They're a perfect fit.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
After the turbo install I had some Oil, Coolant, and Exhaust leaks and so it's been sitting in the driveway since cold weather has been deterring me from finishing what I started. Now im glad to report that I've resolved all the issues with leaks and have it back on the road. I had to pass emissions this year and I was glad that my exhaust modifications didn't keep it from passing.

Engine bay now. I'm planning on relocating the OEM vacuum hoses to pre-turbo intake as recommended by Jerry. The fuel pressure regulator has been working great.

Put the 3D printer to use to make a boost guage/CB radio bracket made to fit in the lower dash pocket. Also printed an adapter to install 6x9 speakers in the OE spot without any cutting or drilling.

Side by side with a friends newly acquired '90 trooper.

Shout out to Ron (Lowzone) for hooking me up with these sweet new aftermarket fender flares. They're a perfect fit.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Super jealous of the turbo you now have. I have always thought about doing that but I dont really have the knowledge or the time to be able to put the old girl down for a little bit to get it done. The amigo is looking amazing!!

How hard was the speaker mounts for the rear to make? I have a friend with a 3d printer but wasn't sure how hard it would be for him to make for me.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
bsnafu1221 said:
Super jealous of the turbo you now have. I have always thought about doing that but I dont really have the knowledge or the time to be able to put the old girl down for a little bit to get it done. The amigo is looking amazing!!

How hard was the speaker mounts for the rear to make? I have a friend with a 3d printer but wasn't sure how hard it would be for him to make for me.
Designing them was easy. The hard part is finding a printer large enough to print it and it has to be a heat resistant filter plastic or else it will warp in the summer heat. My printers capacity is abnormally large at 16.5"x16.5". I used PETG plastic but ABS would be even better.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just realized when I clicked back into the thread that you posted a screen shot of the design on the first page... though I do have a full set of bose speakers from a 14ish Cadillac sitting in my truck with the amp I am trying to see if my wee brain can stumble around how to get it all to work properly with an after market deck, all the new GM stuff is quirky about how its wired sometimes. But since I work in a parts department at a GM dealer I just need to remember to look at wiring diagrams and connector pin-outs while I'm at work to see what all I am facing. If anything comes of that I will do a detailed write up on my thread, gonna be a while cause we dont have enough daylight in the evenings still and it's still a little chilly here.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
bsnafu1221 said:
Thanks for the info. I just realized when I clicked back into the thread that you posted a screen shot of the design on the first page... though I do have a full set of bose speakers from a 14ish Cadillac sitting in my truck with the amp I am trying to see if my wee brain can stumble around how to get it all to work properly with an after market deck, all the new GM stuff is quirky about how its wired sometimes. But since I work in a parts department at a GM dealer I just need to remember to look at wiring diagrams and connector pin-outs while I'm at work to see what all I am facing. If anything comes of that I will do a detailed write up on my thread, gonna be a while cause we dont have enough daylight in the evenings still and it's still a little chilly here.
As long as it's a 2 wire hookup it will work just fine with a quality aftermarket stereo. Good aftermarkets stereos like Alpine, Kenwood and Pioneer have small built in amps to handle midrange speakers. Alternatively you could run an aftermarket amp to power them and it would sound a lot better as well. I wouldn't dink around with a GM amp.

·
Super Moderator
2,398 Posts
bsnafu1221 said:

Honestly 3D printing is overkill for those mounts, al you need is a piece of wood and a router. That's the way I had mounted speakers in my 91.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.