Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a 1992 Pickup and it has a 2.3 four in it. I took it to have the emissions test and it severely failed the emissions test! The guy told me he had set the idle high on the carb because the engine would die sometimes with the a/c on. The truck went a little over 3 times the legal limit in the test. Is this simply a catalytic converter issue? The truck runs fine and leaks some oil from what looks like the valve cover and oil pan which seem typical to me for its age. I can smell gas in the exhaust quite strong. I looked into reviews of this trucks' reviews before I bought it and thought I was getting a good little truck perfect my my 30 minute daily treck to work and am fearing big repurcussions that I've just purcheasd a dishonest mans ex-nightmare! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
few things to check....

the carb might be worn out and is running RICH. see at the base of the carb, if the air/fuel mixture screw has been drilled out. if it has, its been rebuilt and possibly POORLY. you will see the mounting nuts at the base of the carb, look towards the back on the passengerside of the base plate. there is a casting that looks like a circle (if you see that, it hasnt been touched).
another thing to check is to see if the EGR valve is opening properly and if the vacuum lines are properly ran. the EGR opens and does help the emissions. The 3rd thing is to replace the O2 sensor, its a simple O2 single wire so its not too sophisticated of an emissions system.
how many miles are on the truck?

see if we can figure this out for you!!
Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!! This truck has a little over 194,000 miles on it...a little less than my ex-wife! I will check the things you mentioned, thanks again.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
gmaury88 said:
This truck has a little over 194,000 miles on it...a little less than my ex-wife!
yeah but did you put THOSE miles on her?....the ex i mean.....

with 194k, it might need a carb. or a GOOD rebuild. the air mixture screw might be worn out (as air and fuel go over parts, they do wear out) and cause it to run richer. you should be getting 15mpg around town 20-22 on the highway....
Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The miles on the ex weren't all mine, that's why she's ex!

The guy I bought the truck from told me he adjusted the carb high because when the a/c kicked on it causes the check engine light to come on and sometimes kills the engine. I don't like using a/c so I was gonna adjust it back. I have thought of getting a new carb or rebuilding the old one myself so you adding that in helps. At least it has new tires and a bed liner! That's what I keep telling myself when all these issues keep piling up. It wouldn't pass inspection because it's running lights don't work in front or back. I took my meter yesterday and found only one bulb bad and the instrument/running light fuse bad. I replaced bulb and the fuse and it blew the fuse as soon as the lights were turned on. I'm and electrician so this will be an easy fix. I'm just going to rewire the whole lighting system! I figure as old as she is it would be less frustrating to rewire than to find a short, or possible more than one. I'm going to put a new valve cover gasket as well as a oil pan and head gasket in it. From what I've heard there is something that the engine is kknown for leaking oil after a while aroung the head that I will replace or fix also. I have heard how good these trucks are for longevity so I want to get this all done right before I get it going as a daily commuter to save future issues as much as I can. Contact with good people like yourself will be a wonderful thing to have! Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
gmaury88 I too live in slc, I also have a emission problem, have for some time, Bought my little pu for the same reason you did, just wanted something simple. Thing is some hoses are miissing. I have lots of diagrams but i would like to look at the real thing. Are all of your vacuum hoses attached? I live in the Sugar House area, email me plz, hope you are close by. I have a new egr valve to put on, but I dodn't think it will work without the hoses. Oh mine is 90 pu 2.3 so should be the same. Yea bought it, didn't pass EM test Then paid $300 for a tune-up,because you are supposed to get a waiver if you spend that much or that was what I was led to believe. The numbers never changed and the little horror shop around the corner took me to the cleaners.Wouldn't do one thing more.I'll show you the receipt. I know sounds like a small claims court case to me but I procrastinate and am up against the wall now have to take it in someplace next week. That would be just grand if you were down the block and let me look under the hood with my digital camera.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts