Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1992 Pickup White 1992 Pickup Gold.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. New to the site. Have belonged to other forum sites for past hobbies.

Hi! Mitch here. Vetted myself as a ford master tech before starting my own shop in Iowa.

My first car was a 1990 Isuzu pickup. I loved it. And of course, i no longer have it. Lately i have been in the alignment to acquire an Isuzu or 2. I found a white 2wd survivor earlier this fall. I just bought another one (gold). The gold one is pretty hacked up. Found someone had direct wired the blower motor to a switch. So, besides dealing with the charge relay nonsense for diag i found the blower motor resistor at fault. But, i cant find any from my vendors. Not even rockin auto. I can find the later model 93-95 but do not know what the difference is. Any help would be appreciated.

Ill post pics of my first ride and what ive got going on with the other 2.

I have the head off the gold one. Getting air checked and decked. I had head gasket failure on my first one (i overheated it) I put likely a fel pro in it and had no issues for years. Reading on here that people are having issues with them? Anyone got a lead on OEM gaskets as well?

Again, New to forum. I appreciate any help i can get. Ill chime in wherever i can. epairing today

· Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,527 Posts
Wecome to our Isuzu forum. Blower motor resistor box can be problematic on most of the early Isuzu's. Usually when they fail they only work on high speed. I have an old one off a 90 Amigo. I don't even know if it's good or not or if it might be the same one that's in trucks. Your welcome to it if it looks like it might fit. Located behind glove box..

Waste container Circuit component Grass Gas Font
Cable Electronic component Gas Electronics accessory Electrical supply

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This unit will not work on high. Even speed 4 runs through resistor. I load tested the ground to the switch and verified ground of each leg at each position at resistor. I ordered one from CQ for a 1995 pickup. I checked the wiring diagram of it and it all looked the same is the blower case different?

That is a generous offer. I may take you up on it. Ill keep you posted.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

· Registered
7,726 Posts
If High doesnt work, its the switch, not the resistor. there are also 2 or 3 different versions of the resistor, which could , if the wrong one is installed, may also cause HIGH not to work due to the placement of the connections.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Switch load tested to ground with heavy bulb @ resistor. Switch passed component testing. Used a 1995 resistor from CQ. Unit works but speeds are goofy. 1- no operation 2 med 3 high 4 med-low. Im guessing that i can move the pins around the connector to make the 1995 work in the 1992. So, in my case my resistor is open even in the direct continuity circuit.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looking at diagrams of the 1992 and 1995 the pin placement is different from switch position to pin position in resistor. I'll move them in the connector and report back.

· Registered
7,726 Posts
figured something was screwy on that resistor. Ive noticed a few different designs, i use to sell used ones but for this reason, it caused too many returns/reships. glad youre capable of diagnosing it properly

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright kids, I finally had a free minute away from customer work to plink around with the gold pickup.

I did some browsing on this forum and found that the 1992 resistor was possibly available OEM. But, I wanted to continue on with my assumption. So did and i hope it possibly helps someone someday.

I found the 1993-1995 HVAC blower motor resistor was readily available at many aftermarket parts stores (carquest/advance, arnolds, oriley). Its overall appearance looked similar. I examined both wiring diagrams (1992 vs `1995). The circuit was identical just pinned different.

So, if you need a resistor for a 1988-1992 pickup and you want it fast all you have to do is de pin the connector @ the resistor and move the pins around. Swap pins 2 and 4 with each other and move pin 5 to pin 1. Works as it should.

I had to shave a little of the top of the resistor plastic off. It hit a seam in blower case. I think the screw holes are a little lower. You could also just egg the holes out. The screw heads are huge. I pictured both resistors. The original on the right. Pin 1 on original resistor is not used. Pin 5 in newer resistor is not used. The pins are numbered 1-3 top row going left to right and 4-6 left to right bottom row.

I pictured my old resistor from the back. I could have fixed it. Failed solder connection.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts