Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, a first time Trooper owner, and was hoping to get some feedback from you all.

I am living down in Southern Costa Rica and bought a 1992 Isuzu Trooper (Federal) with a 3.2L V6, 4x4 with Manual Tranny. Mileage is at least 165k, don't know specifically as the speedometer/odometer don't work.

I am coming back to the states next weekend, so I am planning on getting some of the parts there and bringing them back with me in the container I am shipping.

What I know:

Burns ~1 Quart of Oil a week, no leaks, just sends it out the exhaust
CEL is on, I'm sure due to the Speedo Sensor being dead, thus no speedometer or mileage (Anyone know a part number or have a suggestion on where to aquire?)
Have autolocking hubs, and they make a clicking sound when engaged
AC Compressor Squeals off and on when engaged. Replaced belts, so it's the compressor itself
Roads are quite rough whenever you leave the highway here, and the suspension isn't the greatest

Current Plan:

Engine is going to be rebuilt by local mechanic and machine shop
Timebelt, pully's, etc
Mechanic suggests a custom camshaft (Any recomendations here?)
Planning to import and Old Man Emu suspension
Either service hubs or replace with new autohubs or change out for manual. Due to conditions here, mechanic recommends manual hubs.
Adding a K&N Airfilter as well as a snorkel
New MagnaFlow or similar exhaust

What else should be addressed?

If we are going to be in there, I'd prefer to address anything else that has a high probability of going wrong.
Any thoughts on any type of 'chip'? Looking for something that may improve fuel economy since we are over $5.00 a gallon down here.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Contact JLEMOND for Isuzu OEM parts, or Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu by St. Louis.

You can pull codes by pulling out the wire under the dash center console on the drivers side, there is a 3-pin connecter with nothing connected. Jumper pins 1 and 3 and the CEL will blink the codes. You will get a 21 for throttle position sensor (or is it crank sensor? I forget) whenever the engine is off, anything after that is what you are interested in.

I would definitely get manual hubs. The Aisins are very tough, I have wheeled my RS Trooper pretty hard for 5 years without any hub issues. Aftermarket hubs have warranties but in your shoes I would go for the Aisins.

If you are going to redo the exhaust and ground clearance is a concern, consider re-routing the passenger side pipe around the back of the transfer case, that crossover pipe is the lowest thing under there. I like the Dynomax Super Turbo 17747 for an affordable performance muffler that has good manners (doesn't drone at cruising speeds).

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
js004280 said:
If we are going to be in there, I'd prefer to address anything else that has a high probability of going wrong.
Since you are going to remove the timing belt during the rebuild, I would replace it, and the water pump, and the timing belt tensioner while you are in there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts