Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here goes. I'm new to this site as of today and just bought my first trooper a 1992 trooper LS 3.2 DOHC great condition considering the age with 238000 km's on it for a big $200 bucks haha. Just ordered a shop manual from ebay to help me out along the way, But till then have a few questions if some kind people from this site can help me with since I'm having trouble finding the answers aka Forum newbie :p

First off I would like to know how to pull the trouble codes from this thing cause I do know it doesn't have a scanner port like the obd II 's do.

Second My rear anti lock brake light is on and was wondering what might cause that?

third the previous owner said he had the 02 sensor changed on it but the mechanic didn't clear the code so the light is still on and read just to pull the power and it should clear the ECM did that but the light came right back on? Is there more than one sensor on these troopers? And is there a way to be able to tell which one it is? I had a full tank in it now there's only a quarter tank left and only got so far 285km's on the tank. The trooper was sitting for at least 2 years with out any daily driving does anybody have any recommendations on what I should do to service it ex// throttle body service etc... Also once and a while when I start it it idle's up like normal then idle's down and stalls start it back up and its fine I'm stumped on that one :p

fourth and last does anybody have any recommendations where I can get a suspension lift for it at a reasonable price? It's gonna need springs and shocks so figured maybe might just be cheaper to just get a suspension lift kit instead :p

Thanks so much for your time in helping me. New proud Trooper owner in Canada

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The rear ABS sensor is in the rear diff. First thing I would do is check that the wiring to the diff is intact and connected properly.

If that doesn't work and you don't care about the rear ABS function, you can disconnect the ABS control module and get rid of those pesky dash lights (I just did this last week). The module is at the bottom center of the dash. There will be 2 or 3 modules there (not sure if you have an airbag module in 92). The uppermost module with the connecter on the side is the one to unplug.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Try Independent4x for lift kits.

Reactions: jfrog180

·
Registered
217 Posts
CalMini makes suspension kits for troopers, too. 2" lift is about 450.00 and 3" lift is about 950.00. These are complete kits, with shocks and every bolt needed. You just supply the tools, time and swearing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot guys for the help and taking the time to reply to my post :)) def very useful information!!!

I do have one more question though. I'm getting pretty bad gas mileage with it I only got about 350 km's to a tank. Does anybody know on average how many K you are supposed to get on average and what can possibly be the reason for the crappy gas mileage? The thing was sitting for a couple years with only being driven maybe a few K here and there so not sure if anybody has any recommendations on maybe it being something that needs servicing? Thanks again :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
fix your exhaust leak.change the air filter and fuel filter,clean throttle body and get a new gasket. run some premium in it. you already seafoamed it and changed the plugs. you cant expect good milage if things are not clean enough to begin with..... oh and stop driving 150 on the freeway :D

Matt at Indy4x will have lift kits for a 92... in fact I recall seeing them on is website yesterday

Reactions: jfrog180

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok decided to buy shocks and ordered rancho rs5000's does anybody have any ideas on what else I'm gonna need for this job? :) should I change the springs ? I was thinking on putting in air bags that go in the middle of the spring. Has anybody done this yet ? Thanks

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The stock Trooper springs are very soft. A set of OME rear coils will do wonders for the ride. OME912s give an inch of lift, 919s give about 2". Both are stiffer than stock, but ride very nice.

·
Registered
289 Posts
not sure about the Rancho 5000's but I know the 9000's are good and adjustable firm /soft. hold off on ordering anything until we talk. air bags? I wouldn't. I would just buy better longer shocks and coils. then crank the t bars and get longer brake lines.I would consider bigswedes advice on suspension as he owns a trooper.I think you guys can do a ball joint flip too. If you want to keep it stock height then just get OEM parts.if you wanna run the trails with us you will have to lift her up or take a continuous massive beating depending on the trail :D either way you look at it no man is left behind. we will pull or drag you to the road :lol:

I may have a set of 2" coil spacers that may work but a better coil is definitely recommended.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts