Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1992 Isuzu PU Overheating. I have the V-6 in the 4x4 model. I put in a new radiator, changed the hoses and thermostate and it started running hot. Was fine before I did all of this. Changed out the fan clutch. Made it a little better , but still runs hot espically at low speeds or stop and go driving. Any suggestions? It's been like this for about a year now. Is there a coolant rely switch somewhere that I should know about?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
blueseasons said:
1992 Isuzu PU Overheating. I have the V-6 in the 4x4 model. I put in a new radiator, changed the hoses and thermostate and it started running hot. Was fine before I did all of this. Changed out the fan clutch. Made it a little better , but still runs hot espically at low speeds or stop and go driving. Any suggestions? It's been like this for about a year now. Is there a coolant rely switch somewhere that I should know about?

Thanks
WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!!!!

Umm, did you verify the thermostat is in correctly. If it's upside down, that will definitely cause problems. Copper pellet should be down, IIRC.

Also, you may have stirred up something in the engine causing some restrictions. It may be that you'll also have to replace the water pump if it's still original. I found a fair amount of scale/corrosion in the water jacket behind my pump when I finally replaced it.

V6 4x4 p/u ehh? Very Kewl

PICS!!!

Cheers,

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
You may just have a bad 'stat. When I installed my 3.4, it was overheating from the get-go. I wasn't very pleased to find my Brand-New Stant 'stat was NFG. Put the old stat out of the 2.8 in and it was fine.

Get a premium 190-195 deg 'stat and if that doesn't do the trick, I'd do as Don suggested and renew the water pump. You can get a rebuilt one pretty cheap, I paid only $19.95 for one at Pep Boys a few years ago.

BTW, it helps when you're refilling the cooling system to point the rig up a hill. This promotes the 'burping' of air out of the block. If you don't have a hill, run it up on jackstands or ramps.

HTH and let us know how it turns out............ed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding. I know I have the stat in correctly. I even took the new one out and reinstalled the old one to make sure that wasn't it. It still has the stock one in as reinstalling it didn't solve the problem. I don't want to put a rebuilt pump in . The stock pump is in with 112,000 miles on it. I though that the work I did was a catalust for the over heating. I am tending to belive that I stired something up as well. I am going to flush eveything out again and see what happens. This has been a great vehicle. The most reliable and trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. I want to keep it running great. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.