Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since all the cool kids are doing it...and we need some more Pickups on this site... I thought I’d make a simple pictures/build thread of my truck as it progresses. It was saved from being a parts truck when I found some tires for sale one day. I saw some potential in this truck because I had Van's tricked out truck to compare it with when I went to look at it, and ended up buying it from him.

Day I First Looked at it (rainy day = crappy pictures) January 2009:

Fixing the front end.. went with rodeo headlights at the advice of low-zone:

Added a Calmini Bumper, thanks to the local sushi bar:

Then added a bed rack:

Next mod was painting the hood flat black, I sanded it down and used high temp paint. I also got some spray tint and lightly coated the headlights and corners and tail lights.

Broke up with my girlfriend â€" so I thought I’d treat my other girlfriend to some lovin’ when this became available the same weekend (it had to be a sign):

You can also kind of see the Rugged Ridge Hubs I put on the truck too â€" they are Aisin type but larger/beefier internals:

Back:

Time for a new clutch:

Inspecting the transmission:

Back together for reinstall after replacing a bunch of seals:

Installed the fairlead for my winch:

Time for some mods to prep for the Beasley trip:

You can see my upgraded battery in this picture ready for the winch:

Milemarker 9k winch ready to install:

Lift shackles and winch hook from indy4x:

Just under 18 months later..

Front Lift is next, then winch mount and an alignment.. and then I better have some trail shots of this thing in the next 2 weeks!!

By the way - All these pictures but the first two blurry ones were taken by Blackberry :p

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nice truck man, I like that cannondale you have in the back. It's a nice hardtail. You ride alot?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
One of my favorites on the Planet. Nice work and thanks for the pics.

shooter

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jwood1016 said:
Awesome man! Hey how exactly did you paint that front fender without making look like it was done with a spray can???
Lots of Practice.. It's all in the wrist and your index finger. :lol:

That was actually an engine enamel I painted the fender with because VAN donated it to me while I was putting the headlights on at his house. I've seriously considered attacking the whole truck with a gloss red rattle can job since rustoleum matches the rest of the truck, and so far my test patch inside the bed of the truck has put up really well so far. With a bit of wet sanding and couple coats, I think I can do the body line up fairly decent and pretty quickly too... Maybe I can lure Darren out with a keg of beer at my house for an afternoon of sanding and spraying 8)

This will give you an idea how good I can get it with no wet sanding and a few light coats:
(just got done cranking the front up to almost match the rear) - of course I found out both my outer tire rod ends are toast while I was under there. :?

Nice truck man, I like that cannondale you have in the back. It's a nice hardtail. You ride alot?
I've been riding a few times a week now.. I bought the truck originally just so I don't have to keep stuffing my bike in my car or kill my gas mileage on the corolla with a bike rack.. but the real excuse was I needed something to carry my new TV home. :lol: The rest is just history..

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jwood1016 said:
NICE! I got a amigo fender sitting in my closet but its white.....And every place I have been to wants at least $120 to paint it silver. wtf?
Personally I'd start by buying a pint of the right paint from a good source.. and go talk to a local college that does automotive work.. they can't screw up a fender that's already off the truck..

Hell, you can do all the prep work on it. then it's a matter of just handing someone the prepped fender and paint to spray it in an afternoon, and come pick it up the next day.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I like your truck, it's cool watching it evolve.

Consider me subscribed.

John,

Not to highjack this thread but I'm a big fan of the rattle can paint job. The key to any good paint job is god prep and patience. Getting a good coat without runs helps a lot. Prep by sanding out any blemishes, washing it real good with a detergent to get the impurities off. Sand it in between coats with a 1000 grit sandpaper, then shoot it with clear the same way. Finish it off with a buffer and you'll be amazed at the end result. You can get your paint mixed by your paint code at NAPA, buy one of the refillable rattle cans they sell and you can charge with a small air compressor or bike pump. Instant paint matched rattle can.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks cronk! It's little by little, as I see putting the money into it.. eventually I need to stop and start saving for new drivetrain, this one's tired but keeps going..

Another mod I forgot to put in above. My truck has a healthy respect for speed:

Rodeo Dash along with the Intermittent Wiper control. I swapped out my original that had 241k on it. The truck just hit 233k miles the other day. Roughly 4,000 miles since last october, and I want to say something like 8 or 9k miles since I bought it.

When the dash comes out, I'll be correcting the mileage. Since it's exempt, I thought about rolling it to the exact amount of miles I have on it since I bought it. :D

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cronk said:
If you're dead set getting the miles the same, you can put it up on jack stands and let it run through the night........ :D
Its actually very easy to adjust the mileage. The only trick is getting the Speedo needle and tach needle off without breaking it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Very nice what you've done with your Pup! 8) I'd love to find a TJM bumper for my rodeo, I like the looks of it a bit better than the ARB's.

Question, with the intermitent wiper switch swap is it the switch by it's self that controls the intermitent function, or did you have to add in a modual for it? My Rodeo just has the Mist switch and I'd like to swap it out

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Looks good man! I'd love to have a P'up

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rezkid said:
Very nice what you've done with your Pup! 8) I'd love to find a TJM bumper for my rodeo, I like the looks of it a bit better than the ARB's.

Question, with the intermitent wiper switch swap is it the switch by it's self that controls the intermitent function, or did you have to add in a modual for it? My Rodeo just has the Mist switch and I'd like to swap it out
You need to swap out the relay too, it's under the dash.. when I get to grabbing one for myself, I'll take a picture for you.

The TJM is pretty nice, however it doesn't come with the winch tray, which needs to be welded in or fabricated.. and also the bumper sticks out more because it's designed to be a low-mount winch. It'll kill your approach angle, but it's pretty nice having a lower winch on a lifted truck.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:D wow your truck looks great.i am going to look at one in ky next week 8) recon

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the winch tray done.. thanks to JERRY freakin' LEMOND who was a great help in spending the time to help me get this cut and welded in there. (helps to have the right kind of tools too!)

Its been a long day, the drive back from Georgia was horrible.. so I'm going to wait till tomorrow morning to do the wiring and pick up some hardened steel bolts to properly mount this sucker.

I snapped a few cell pics while working today... here you go..

Band saw whacking the two ends off the harbor freight universal mount:

Ground the paint off the inside of the TJM Mount to slide in the new winch tray .. I'm SO Happy to have the two piece style bumper!

Need to wear the appropriate attire when grinding:

Jerry finishing up the welds:

Completed Bumper/winch mount:

Tomorrow this gets mounted down for good when I get the hardened steel bolts from the hardware store:

Tomorrow I'll have some completed pictures with the bumper on over the winch, and the wiring complete.. I have some complete new tire rods to install and then I'm doing another 1" lift in the front to make up for the winch, and a home-made alignment.

Thanks again Jerry!

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some more blackberry photos..

Testing out the flex with the new rear shackles (at this point Jerry's wondering what the heck I'm doing in his ditch.. )

I'm pretty satisfied with that for stock.. I hit the limit of the shocks though.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
jwood1016 said:
Nice dude!

Do you have coil overs in the rear???

Interesting observation. I see the leaf spring, but then it's like it's a leaf spring/coil over combo. lol. I bet it's a fake. :D

1 - 20 of 400 Posts