Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Amigo thread but I'll post it here too. I am a long time lurker here.

1991 Amigo
CALMINI 3" lift
CALMINI shocks
CALMINI winch bumper (the only one made for 1st gen Amigos)
T-Max winch
ARB locker and compessor
Re-arched rear springs
BFG 32" muds
2 1/4" exhaust tucked up into the frame
INDY heavy duty tie rods waiting to be installed

Pics below, stupid Photobucket...

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Well, I think that is about as perfect an amigo as anyone could ever ask for. You've got everything. Hard top, rare gem of a winch bumper, snowflakes.. the works! Very nice.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
That's a nice one for sure. Nicely equipped too. Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Welcome, and that is one bada$$ 'Migo!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:D wow man your amigo rocks 8) recon

·
Registered
586 Posts
Very cool.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i want your bumper. :D

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,862 Posts
stusvend said:
Well, I think that is about as perfect an amigo as anyone could ever ask for. You've got everything.
I guess I must have missed where he said it was diesel! ;) :lol:

Seriously though, it's nice. But I'd be waiting for the engine to give up, so I could put a 4JG2T in it. :idea:

Jack

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
off_road_4_me said:
it kills me that I can't have that bumper :(
At the time they offered them people thought they were too expensive. They went for $600 - $700 if I remember right. No takers so they discontinued them. I have seen a few 2nd gen rodeos with them but they are gone too.

Griz

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used to work at an Isuzu dealer when I was like 19. I wanted the Amigo but had to settle for the base 2.3 pickup. It was my first brand new car. How does it compare to your Trooper? Ive always kinda thought that the Amigo would be better for me for the kind of trail riding I do, with the shorter wheelbase and all. I like the looks of my 1st gen though and it has proven to be more than capable on the trail. I guess thats why I fancy the RS.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SoCalTrooper said:
How does it compare to your Trooper? Ive always kinda thought that the Amigo would be better for me for the kind of trail riding I do, with the shorter wheelbase and all... I guess thats why I fancy the RS.
I took my Trooper in for service to a dealer sometime in 1989 and saw the Amigo for the first time on the showroom floor and fell in love with the looks and all. Couldn't afford it at the time 'cause I was still paying on the Trooper. I started wheeling the Trooper with some other Isuzu guys and saw how the short wheelbase of the Amigo worked as opposed to the Trooper. That's when I had to get one. Got this in 1999 and have loved how it handles the trails. Love the turning radius.

I used to live in Pomona (bought the Trooper in Pomona in 1988) and Rialto and Big Bear and the high desert was my playground. We used to go into Hesperia and take (I think, been a while) forest road 3N16 up into Big Bear. Then we would branch off from there. The Trooper was great but the Amigo is better for me.

I do miss the room I had in the Trooper but I removed the rear seats and installed the steel wall that came in Amigos without seats and that has helped immensely.

But I would kill for an RS... Wish I had known about them in '89.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Griz said:
I took my Trooper in for service to a dealer sometime in 1989 ...

I used to live in Pomona (bought the Trooper in Pomona in 1988) and Rialto and Big Bear and the high desert was my playground. We used to go into Hesperia and take (I think, been a while) forest road 3N16 up into Big Bear. Then we would branch off from there. The Trooper was great but the Amigo is better for me.
Heres the funny thing, I worked at that dealership in Pomona (technically Claremont) right there at Indian Hill and the 10 FWY. It was called Tate Isuzu in the beginning, then in 1990 I think it became Claremont Isuzu. I worked there from 89 to 94 in the parts dept. We also had Cadillac, Pontiac, GMC, Hyundai, Sterling, and Diahatsu. There was also an Acura dealer on the lot but they had a seperate showroom and parts department across the lot. Small world.

3N16...I havent checked the map, but that dumps out into Holcomb Valley if I'm not mistaken. The snowy pics on page 4 of my cardomain page were taken on 3N16. Not sure where it starts out but I know that there is a trail just south of the 18/247 junction in Lucerne. It starts in the foothills around Meridian/Furnace Creek roads and goes over the pass into Holcomb Valley. Its controlled by a mining company now but they tell me you can get a day pass. They say my Trooper wont make it and only motorcycles go up there, which just makes me want to try it even more, ha ha. Just wondering if thats the trail youre taking about or were you picking up that trail more towards Hesperia.

By the way, your Amigo is frickin sick. Id'swap you in a second if you start missin that ol' trooper too much.

Let me know if you want to put a trail ride together and I'd make the trip to Bakersfield.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SoCalTrooper said:
Heres the funny thing, I worked at that dealership in Pomona (technically Claremont) right there at Indian Hill and the 10 FWY. It was called Tate Isuzu ..."

That's the place. I remember drooling over one of the Sterlings there while they were doing the paperwork for the Trooper. Hell, we probably met way back then.

"3N16...I havent checked the map, but that dumps out into Holcomb Valley if I'm not mistaken. The snowy pics on page 4 of my cardomain page were taken on 3N16. Not sure where it starts out but I know that there is a trail just south of the 18/247 junction in Lucerne. It starts in the foothills around Meridian/Furnace Creek roads and goes over the pass into Holcomb Valley. Its controlled by a mining company now but they tell me you can get a day pass. They say my Trooper wont make it and only motorcycles go up there, which just makes me want to try it even more, ha ha. Just wondering if thats the trail youre taking about or were you picking up that trail more towards Hesperia."

We would take the 138 exit (I think) and then head east into the back side of Hesperia. I can't tell you where we turned but we headed out a ways on dirt roads before we got to the road. I could probably find it but it's been quite a while since I've been there. And yeah, it dumped in to Holcomb Valley and we would usually end up in Fawnskin when we were done.

"By the way, your Amigo is frickin sick. Id'swap you in a second if you start missin that ol' trooper too much."

Thanks

"Let me know if you want to put a trail ride together and I'd make the trip to Bakersfield."

Maybe we can do run up Lockwood Valley/ Miller Jeep trail in the near future. Very nice run if you have never done it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.