Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm getting mixed signals . Some say a 90 trooper/5speed can be flat towed, but the manual says only 30MPH and 50 miles. Roadmaster makes a tow bracket for it, but they don't know, neither does Remco??!!
Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of, if it is possible or not to tow this vehicle 4 wheels down.. Thanks in Advance. jim C. 520-227-2751

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Climb underneath and remove the 4 bolts that hold the rear drive shaft to the rear axle. Hang the loose end of the driveshaft up out of the way with stiff wire or industrial cable ties to a cross member and you can flat tow it to the moon if you like without issues. After you've done the bolts once it's a simple job to attach or detach the driveshaft. That's the safest way.

When in doubt always trust the owners manual.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
And make marks on both flanges, so that you can put it back together again, the same way it was.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
I have flat towed 5 speed troopers hundreds of miles at 60+ MPH and never had any problems. I use to have an RX7 that I flat towed every weekend to the racetrack, hundreds of miles, 65+ MPH for years..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input.. Since this is a one shot deal I think I'll just go ahead and unbolt front and rear.... I really don't see why running with both shafts hooked up and the Trans. in neutral how it could hurt anything,BUT???? Jim C.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Squatch and Selador are right.
If you leave everything hooked up, it's possible you could hit a bump and the transmission could go into gear. Then, of course, all hell would break loose.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
A. Bump shifting would eat a motor in seconds.
B. Output shafts rotating causes bearing & fluid wear without any need.
C. A disconnected drive shaft can't spin the odometer.

~psguardian

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The transmission will not lubricate itself in neutral. Thats why you cannot do it for long.

Just disconnect the 4 bolts on the rear flange. You just need one 14mm wrench. Tie it up out of the way and your good to go. There is no need to mark it there is no indexing required.

There is no need to remove the front shaft just make the hubs are in free mode if they are auto hubs or unlock your manual hubs and nothing will turn.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
betterthanyou said:
The transmission will not lubricate itself in neutral. Thats why you cannot do it for long.

(Yes many transmisions lubricate from the front mainshaft turning.)

Just disconnect the 4 bolts on the rear flange. You just need one 14mm wrench. Tie it up out of the way and your good to go. There is no need to mark it there is no indexing required.

(The Flange is a rectangle not a square so you can't have it 90 degrees out. I still mark them anyway.)

There is no need to remove the front shaft just make the hubs are in free mode if they are auto hubs or unlock your manual hubs and nothing will turn.

(Agreed)
1 time shot I'd just rent a tow dolly instead of buying a tow bar. That's how I brought mine home when I bought it. tow dally and disconnected rear shaft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help.. The tow dolly seems to be the right/easest way to go... I even know where I can borrow one!! Don't know why I didn't think of that before?? I guess that's what cheap drugs will do :cry: :?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts