Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the newb question that is more than likely already been answered..

Right now I have 28's. So far they have done pretty good for me, but lately ive been toying with the thought of bigger tires. So heres my Q:
Whats the biggest size tires I could fit (Stock rims, no lift, no mods) on my 1st Gen without rubbing?

Any reccommendations on tires and maybe some wheels to change it up? Bigger Tires=Worse gas mileage. Im getting 13mpg now, how much would it lower to?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
A couple of things

First if you are only getting 13 mpg you need to find out why. You should get way better than that. I have an 88 Trooper with the 2.6 and 33's and I got 16 mpg going to Uwharrie.

Next you can fit a 33x12.50 if you want to say on the road and deal with a little bit of rubbing. Tad had 33x9.50's on his bone stock. It's the width that gets you.

I have 285/75/16's on mine which works out to about a 33x11.50. I think that's about as big as I want to go. If I ever end up going bigger I'd say it'd be with a solid axle. But I really can't see me spending that kind of cash.

As far as rims I have the stock Isuzu aluminum snowflakes a lot of people like them as well as the black rock crawlers. 33's look great on the first gen Troopers. They should have come from the factory with them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hhmm ive always gotten 13mpg since ive bought the thing..I was beginning to wonder myself when i saw some Troopers on EBay (1stGen) and they said they got aorund 30mpg!?

What could cause this? I know I need to change my filter...But what else influences that? Ive changed Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, Fuel Injectors, replaced vaccum hoses, cleaned out common chamber and replaced gasket, cleaned throttle body and put new gasket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been running my 1990 2.8TD stock with 32x11.5x15 with a little rubbing when bouncing around but nothing too bad. I'm lifting it 2 inches with the rear shackels(indepentent4x.com) and a torsion bar crank. Cheap and works pretty well.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.