Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was following my daughter around a traffic circle the other day and noticed quite a bit of vehicle lean from the 90 trooper I have been working on. I got on the phone after that and ordered the AADCO? front and rear sway bars along with some Monroe Sensa-Tracs as in all honesty, this vehicle will be used 95% in the city (my DD is a 460 Lexus but my first love was an old white 60's jeep back on the ranch where my grandfather was a ranch foreman, I just love driving old trucks and SUV's). I havent received the sway bars yet, but from what Ive been able to glean off this site, the front sway bar replacement looks fairly straightforward. However, it appears that the rear sway bar was not an option from the factory and I was wondering if this is something thats fairly easy to do or should I go to a frame shop and have them install the rear Sway Bar. Im not an accomplished mechanic by any means, but grew up working on a very simple straight 6 I had in a 57 chevy pickup. Any tips or suggestions on the front or rear install would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
My friend rollintroopers (that's his screen name) has done this mod. He just pulled and modified a rear sway bar from a second gen trooper. Anyways, he says this was the single best mod he's ever done for the handling of his trooper. I have looked at what he did and it was pretty straight forward but I can't say I could tell you exactly how he did it. You could probably send him a PM and get a little info on the mod. It's supposed to make a lot of difference on how they handle.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
stusvend said:
My friend rollintroopers (that's his screen name) has done this mod. He just pulled and modified a rear sway bar from a second gen trooper. Anyways, he says this was the single best mod he's ever done for the handling of his trooper. I have looked at what he did and it was pretty straight forward but I can't say I could tell you exactly how he did it. You could probably send him a PM and get a little info on the mod. It's supposed to make a lot of difference on how they handle.
I have a rear sway bar from a second gen troop, to put on my 88.

I'd be VERY happy to see a pictorial on that.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Selador said:
stusvend said:
I have a rear sway bar from a second gen troop, to put on my 88.

I'd be VERY happy to see a pictorial on that.

:D :D :D
I think he's got more about it on his cardomain page. I'll see if I can scrounge it up. I don't think Ben is spending too much time on the planet these days.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
stusvend said:
Okay, here it is: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2528357/1 ... per/page-4

Page 3 also has a lot of good info on the second gen brake swap if anyone is interested.
Thank you.

Now that I've seen it, I realize I've seen it before. LOL

I'm not going to be able to do it the same as he did.

Also have everything to do the brakes swap.

Man, I wish I had the time to get back to work on the troop !!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Selador said:
Man, I wish I had the time to get back to work on the troop !!
Me too. I've got two of them sitting in the driveway with front grilles that look like this :( right now. Wedding is Sept. 4th. After that, I'll have some free time again.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Both front and rear install of the Addco is straight forward. The rear is a nice design and makes a huge difference. Check the second link in my sig for my install with pics. Bear in mind I have a lift and aftermarket springs. So I had to mess with mine a little. The frame already has provisions for a rear sway bar. You want to use the foreward most 2 holes on each side for a stock truck for the brackets. On the pass side there is a piece of bracing inside the frame which blocks the rear hole which I needed to use because of the lift. That was great fun. Just follow the instructions in the kit. Several of us here have done this. One of the best mods you can do to any Zoo. I've added aftermarket sway bars to all of mine F+R. HD torsion bars also make a huge differnce in handling. They greatly reduce brake dive and make the truck lean much less in corners. Takes away a lot of the plowing feelings in turns.

Brake upgrade is also in my 2nd build thread. Most anything you will want to do on a 1st gen from maint to mods is done with pics in these 2 threads.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys! I appreciate the comments and the input, Now if the UPS truck will only show up with the bars...

Scott

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I got the Addco one. I had to drop the exhaust off the hangers. I also had to spin the muffler around to get it back up in place.
It makes a world of difference having that bar on there. Good luck with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts