Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gents I have been looking for a first gen with a V6 preferably with a 5 speed. I found one that looks pretty straight body and interior wise. Owner says blown HG.

Anyway obviously this would be a project but its an automatic so I assume GM 2.6 with stock auto trans. My questions are mainly to do with the trans.

1. What's the consensus on the V6 autos? Are the transmissions built well? Are they prone to failure? Is the trans GM or Isuzu? Has 176K on the clock.

2. I don't mind rebuilding the engine but don't want to do all that only to find that the trans is shot. Is there a way to evaluate that in a non runner?

3. If I bought it and the trans is bad how hard is it to get rebuild parts or how much of a pig of a job is converting it to a manual?

Just trying to figure out whether I should even consider this since I have zero experience with the V6 or an auto trans. Any input appreciated.

Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
The V6 engines are mated to a GM 4L30e automatic transmission. Most members in the forum have a very negative opinion of this transmission. The 4L30e was originally a 3L30e and used in a 53-60hp Chevrolet Chevette so it is not very rugged. Most shop rebuilds usually fail prematurely for reasons unknown and most members that try to rebuild one as a diy project are usually not successful.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Howdy again Alan,

Is it a 2.6L Isuzu 4-cylinder or 2.8L GM V6?

Assuming it is the latter, it has the garbage GM 4L30E automatic like Buster28 said. I stay away from the GM V6 because it's not my cup of tea (owned one, didn't like it) but I avoid the 4L30E like the plague... one bad experience was one too many. IMO the 2.6L Isuzu 4-cylinder is just as good (and powerful w/ Jerry cam) of a motor if not better than the V6. It's harder to find parts for and a little finicky, but at least the auto trans behind it (an Aisin Warner 30-80LE) is up to the task. With either motor, you can't go wrong with an Isuzu MUA5 manual transmission. If you do a 5-speed swap, you'll need a MUA5 from specifically a 2.8L Trooper.

- Turner

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was thinking about getting a V6 version to hop up but not with a garbage transmission. I guess I need to kick this one down the road and hold out for a 5 spd version. I already have two of the 4 cylinder 4ZE1's Lol

Thanks for the tips guys, exactly the info I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yeah I was thinking about getting a V6 version to hop up but not with a garbage transmission. I guess I need to kick this one down the road and hold out for a 5 spd version. I already have two of the 4 cylinder 4ZE1's Lol

Thanks for the tips guys, exactly the info I was looking for.
Might wanna look for one with the 5-speed and blown V6 as you could get a deal. User Ed Mc on here knows everything there is to know about the 3.4L V6 swap-- you can get a considerable amount more power this way.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Might wanna look for one with the 5-speed and blown V6 as you could get a deal. User Ed Mc on here knows everything there is to know about the 3.4L V6 swap-- you can get a considerable amount more power this way.
(y)😺

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
My 2 cents:
I’d take a 2.6 five speed over a 2.8 5spd any day.
I’d even possibly take a 2.6 aisin auto over a 2.8 five spd.
That being said, unless you’re going swap to a 3.4 or make the 2.8 to a 3.1, the 2.6 with a Jerry cam just feels so much better. The 2.8 has higher rpm and highway ability at top end but the 2.6 accelerates so much better. I’ve had both and I’m also working on a slow build 3.4 project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts