Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have developed an intermittent ignition problem.

Long suffering and much beloved Wife had a no start a couple of weeks ago. Went out a few hours later when it dried up and it started fine and ran well until New Years Eve.

Had a really rough start on the evening of the 31st - got it moving with a couple of long revs - it sputtered a couple of times then worked OK for a short hop, then restarted fine on the way home. Made another long trip and back no problem next morning.

This morning - no start .. This afternoon - also no start .. Checked wires and noticed they were a little loose on the distributor, so remounted and checked rotor/cap. looked dirty so cleaned it up with a file and re-clipped .. Still no start .. Had afore mentioned long suffering and much beloved come back out and spin the engine while I checked for spark and coil connections ..

Got spark from Coil to wire (thick and orange) ..

Got spark at rotor (less thick - still orange) ..

No sparks on any plug (orange or otherwise) ..

Was expecting a good jolt through my gloves and a thick blue spark from coil - assuming weakness there.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated

Jon.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Change the rotor. If I understand what you're saying, spark is going to the rotor but not being delivered to the plugs. Not all that uncommon for a rotor to develop a ground so that's as far as the spark travels, grounds out before it takes the trip out to the plug posts on the cap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for fast reply Rider .. Hope you are still on ..

Can't pull rotor at the moment, - tried to to pull it off the post, wouldn't budge. Couldn't find a collar or a lock screw.

Is there a trick?

Jon

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
I believe yours is held in place by a tiny screw (on the side?)

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Note it also says "screw" on top. :) Not being a smart-a*s because maybe they don't all say it but mine has "screw" embossed on top too. Originally I gave mine a tug too. I'm in the habit if something doesn't come off I look for a reason prior to using more force then I feel should be necessary. It was only then that I noticed the "screw" embossed on it and found the screw, I had never seen a rotor of that type with a retaining screw.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
If you are going to replace the rotor, do the cap too.

All told about 15 dollars. Well worth it.

And how long since the plugs and wires were changed ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK - thanks lads - have sourced a local rotor, cap not available. That may be OK as the cap looks pretty clean.

Will try to pickup a wire building kit and make a fresh set. Still - was expecting stronger pulse from coil.

It sparked coil to wire over good distance (4 inches) - and about 2 inches wire to cap .. But still orange rather than blue.

Will report back with results.

Jon

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Any updates? As for spark color, I'd not concern myself too much with that. The following was taken from a Briggs and Stratton coil test article but interesting just the same. It was listed under "old wives tales". I realize it's a different ignition system, but..
A bright blue spark is best. A yellow/orange spark signifies weak ignition. Not true. Spark color determines virtually nothing. The hottest spark is ultraviolet which we can't see. Blue spark is cold in comparison to ultra-violet. Orange and yellow come from particles of sodium in the air ionizing in the high energy of the spark gap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts