Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research on this issue I am having and it seems it happens to quite a few people. I'm having the issue where the car will not downshift and gets stuck in the highest gear while the tranmission light blinks. Turning it off and back on resets it but its starting to happen with more frequency. Apparently, from what I have read, it could be a faulty sensor, faulty TCM or solenoid. I have a service manual for a 1988 Isuzu 4x4 v6 and was wondering if there is any difference between the 88 model and the 90-91 model. They reference a ECT computer for the Transmission but have seen other posts mentioning the TCM (transmission control module). Are these the same? I found an '88 and was going to get the ECT out of that and install it in my 90-91 to see if that fixes it but did not know if these models are exactly the same. Can anybody help me out at all and shed some light on this for me? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
the answer to your manual question is NO. the 1988 troopers did not come with the 2.8L V6. they only came on the 89,90,91 model years. the transmission you have is the french built 4L30-E, which was on many years of the V-6 troopers,rodeos (just with minor different configurations) but not pre 89.
if you're saying that your manual has the V-6 trooper in it, then the manual is not for an 88 trooper.
make sure that that ECT from the 88 is the right one, but i don't think it is.

hope this helps with the book part of your question.

good luck and cheers, john

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
The 88 automatic transmission would have been the aisin warner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers! I guess I need to find a manual for a 89-91. I'm trying to get this issue fixed but can't do too much until I know where things are located :) cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.