Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am sorry if its been posted but i cant seem to find the same exact problem.

i recently bought a 1989 Trooper and as soon as i left the sellers drive way it broke down.

so i test drove it and it seemed perfect got back payed the dude went to leave and it died, it will start and idle all day(rough idle at times) but when you hit the gas it pretty much dies, unless you let off before it does.

It only does it after its warmed up, before it is warmed up its all around a perfect running car but after about 20 minutes of running its not drivable. i have also noticed that around the time it starts acting up the fuel light and battery light come on?

once again it only does it when it is warm after about 15-20 minutes then you can only idle if you push the gas it dies or tries to.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,233 Posts
Probably a bad alternator. A circuit in the alternator runs the fuel pump. Alternator gets warmed up, quits charging, fuel pump quits. This is a POSSIBILITY. Running voltage should be checked first. Dennis

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,459 Posts
Bypassing the relay is accomplished by locating the relay by the underhood fuse panel, removing it and using a No. 12 wire jumper, jump the relay contacts as shown in attached pic. Clicking on the pic should make it bigger and easier to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help I will definitely look into it...
my only question is if it were the alternator wouldn't the truck eventually die completely? Do to it not charging. It will stay idling although rough at times?

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
559 Posts
What they're saying is the circuit for the fuel pump goes through the alternator. So you could have a perfectly charging alternator but the fuel pump diode on it could be bad. So by making a jumper wire in the fuel pump relay you're bypassing the alternator circuit.

Here's a video that explains the circuit and the jumper wire

·
Registered
10,233 Posts
I just noticed that you just joined. Welcome. You have an Isuzu, you've come to the BEST place. Dennis

Reactions: NCEvets
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.