Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all in advance. Down and dirty, every idiot light on the dash is lit up and the ac/heater blower does not operate. It started intermittenly at first. If I remove the AC charge blue contactor under the hood, the lights go off and the blower works, but obviously the ac will not work. New alternator installed, checked wiring at the alternator. I'm sure it is something simple and this has been experienced by some of you. Again, thanks for all of your help. 1989 LS entended cab 2.6L 4x4 all original 121000 miles and I am the original owner.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
What brand of alternator? The reason I ask is for many folks, they have had immediate failure unless they went with a Bosch or NAPA Gold unit from NAPA. Some folks haven't had this issue with other reman brands, however, most have. The consensus being with the other brands, the "evil" part of the alternator is either not replaced or replaced with an inferior part.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
The alternator has 2 different plugs. The main output wire for charging and a small round connector with 3 wires. One of the three wires is battery hot to give voltage to the alternator. One is the trigger wire for the fuel pump relay. This wire is the problem. It has to be putting out 12+ volts(closer to 14). I forgot what the 3rd is. I'm not sure of the internal component but often it is missed when the alternator is rebuilt. it will have charge voltage but not on that wire. A standard parts store test will not test that wire. The circuit that comes off of that goes through the dash lights to the fuel pump relay then to fuel pump.

Can't speak on the brand thing. I actually have a brand new "Isuzu factory" rebuilt alternator in my garage that came out of the box with this problem. I went through 2 others from parts store before I got a good one. All read fine on the charging circuit.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Wow, that was something that I had not heard of ever. Good information!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts