Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an 1989 Trooper (229K) with erratic idle and check engine light on. I fixed the idle issue by replacing vacume hoses. Now, I am dealing with the check engine light at 3000 rmp's. I ran the diagnostic (plugged the two wires under the center console) and it flashes 6 times? Anyone have a refence guide for the codes?
Thanks
Lou

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill,

Yes, I did not read it correctly. it is error code 26. VSV system. I am looking for a good repair manual. Any suggestions? Is this error teh charcoal canister?

Thanks,
Lou

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
my factory manual for an 88 says it's an open in the harness for the Vacuum switching valve(for the canister) or a bad valve or a bad ecm. The VSV is on the pass fender. I'd check for corroded or wet connectors in the engine harness. you can apply battery voltage to the valve to check. Also resistance of the valve should be apprx 35 ohms. I don't have a way to scan my book right now for test page. Maybe someone can for you pg 03-56.

·
Registered
14 Posts
botellolou said:
Bill,

Yes, I did not read it correctly. it is error code 26. VSV system. I am looking for a good repair manual. Any suggestions? Is this error teh charcoal canister?

Thanks,
Lou
When I was having codes 25, 26 & 27, the check engine light would be off for about 2-3 minutes after first starting it up and then I could hear a "click" in the VSV and then the check engine light would come on. All tests with the voltmeter revealed that the problem was the ECU. I happened to have a spare from a donor car and after the swap-out the problem never returned. Not sure if this will be your resolution but I will try to get the pages scanned on how to troubleshoot to determine what's going on. Also make sure that all vacuum hoses going to the VSV are good, that would throw the code as well.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The check engine light only comes on when I rev past 3000 rpms. all the connections seem good. Will test for current. coult it be a dirty VSV?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts