Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize, I've been on this board since June and haven't posted any photos! I have multiple threads on here for a ton of questions and help that this board has provided if you want to learn by my 1988 issues!

Bottom line intro - I became obsessed with first gen troopers when I was in high school and a pacific northwest outdoorsman and snowboarder. I got my first 1988 in 1993, which as it turns out is still really the newest car I've ever owned! I got a blue 2.6L 5 speed that I believe was damaged in floods on the other side of the country. Ran great until I wrecked it checking myself out in storefront glass driving down the road!!! Replaced that with a grey 1990 2.6L 5 speed. Thing ran like a top. Had a warm no start condition, so I would have to park it on a hill so that I could bump-start it every time. That was before internet and I never figured out what was wrong with it (anyone know?). Sold that one a few years later, then replaced it with another grey 1990 2.6L 5 spd.

Fast forward, I have restored many classical muscle cars. But none of them really as fun as these Isuzus! In June, we found a guy on craigslist selling two matching rigs for a couple hundred bucks. Bought them and dug in. Couple months later (new brakes, new exhaust, all new vacuum, new tires, new clutch MC, new slave, etc. etc. etc.) and the first one is on the road. runs like a champ at 172K miles. I have young kids that will restore the other one. We have two blocks that we are prepping so that both rigs have new motors.

Funny thing. For how many crazy hot rods I have worked on and owned, none of them can compare to how much fun I have driving these rigs around. It's really true - everyone wants the cars they had in high school!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
That's really cool, not one but TWO red Troopers! They sure did buff out nice!!

I think I recall seeing that Craiglist ad this past summer. Good deal, too!

Keep up the good work!...............ed :thumbright:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha ha! Cash talks! Here's a current photo of the current driver with the PIAA's installed. we put on LED bars, but it just didn't feel period correct. This rig is as square as it gets but next spring I'm going to adjust all the doors and fenders so it's totally straight. Also - I'm loving these KO's, they are such a great tire for the price. LOVE THESE RIGS!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Sweet! Now all you need is a Round-Eye grille conversion and you're GOLDEN! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Duntov said:
I have two of them complete in my shop. But I'm planning on waiting until they are necessary. I like the original look. Even sourced some aftermarket red Isuzu emblems (a little bigger than original) to put on the round grill.
Woo Hoo! OF COURSE they are Necessary!! :twisted:

Here's another really cool item you could add to your grille and/or back door, a Paris-to-Dakar badge. This guy has beautiful keychains and magnetic badges on eBay. I bought the keychain, the quality is outstanding! Original badges can be $200 or more, so these are a $teal:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Isuzu-Trooper- ... 4079707407

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Isuzu-Trooper- ... 4078825273

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.