Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1988 1800cc 4ZC1 turbo engine for $150.00. My question is will this at all work in a 1990 trooper. Could i use just the intake and exhaust manifold on a 2.6L ??. Has anybody messed with this idea or heard of any way to make this work?. By looking at the engine it looks very similair to a 2.6L engine.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
This is a great question for Jerry Lemond. I'm sure he'll see this and speak up. I'd wonder about what kind of guts you will end up with even with it being a turbo. That's an awefully small displacement.

That engine I'm sure was intended to be in a small lightweight car, I-mark or similar.

Joe

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Suzuki made a 1800cc V8 turbo that pumped out over
300 HP.

Just glue a 98+ 3.5 V6 in there.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Horsepower is great, but what kind of torque numbers went with that particular engine? For a big heavy Trooper you definitely need some nice torque numbers.

Joe

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
traskrover said:
I found a 1988 1800cc 4ZC1 turbo engine for $150.00. My question is will this at all work in a 1990 trooper. Could i use just the intake and exhaust manifold on a 2.6L ??. Has anybody messed with this idea or heard of any way to make this work?. By looking at the engine it looks very similair to a 2.6L engine.
WELL IF IT IS IN FACT A TURBO WZC1 IT IS A 2.0 L NOT A 1.8. AND IT WAS RATED A T 140HP AT 5400 RPM AND AND 160 FT LB OF TORQUE AT SOMTHIGN LIKE 3600 RPM, NOT A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A TRUCK ENG ,, YOU CAN INSTALL THE TURBO SET UP ON THE 2.6 AND LEAVE IT STOCK AND IT WILL RUN PRETTY GOOD , BUT STILL DOWN IN THE LOW RPM RANGE IT WON,T HELP YOU A BUNCH, BUT IT WILL WORK , THE 2.0 ENG CAN BE INSTALLED BUT FOR THE AMOUNT OF WORK IT IS NOT WORTH IT ,, A CAM CHANGE AND A GOOD EXHAUST SYTEM AND THE LATER 94-97 CYL HEAD WITH THE INCREASED COMPRESSION AND YOU WOULD BE MUCH HAPPIER. JERRY

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well if that engine is indeed a 4zc1 then im perty shure its an impulse 2.2L. That shuld be just a smaller bore than a 4zd1 2.3L or 4ze1 2.6L. That said it will bolt right in, you may need the backing plat off the troopers original engine (that thing that bolts to the block and creats the bellhousing bolt surface) so it will mate up to the troopers tranny. Im not shure what type of numbers they put out but i think it would do alright. Wouldnt be earth shattering or anything but definetly better than the G200 1.9Ls that troopers ran when they first came out.
800XL will know this stuff for fact, i know hes vary knowledge able on older Isuzu stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.