Isuzu SUV Forum banner
561 - 580 of 582 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The huge benefit I found with the swap was restoring some of the power band back since I'm running 32" tires. I can reliably run in 5th gear again while with the 32s and the old 4.56s installed, the power was just gone in 5th so I was almost always having to run in 4th.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
283 Posts
Are the Aussie Lockers still an option through Independent4x anyone?
Only way to get one as far as I know is through the company Lokka, which is pretty sketchy. I ordered one back in early June, and they haven't responded to any of my emails. A quick look at their facebook page shows people waiting over 6 months to get theirs. I guess I just have to wait it out

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got my Lokka last year for $300. It took a little while to get it. Came from Australia.
Had it installed in the front and I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
WOW, I just read the entire thread, all 562 posts. Respect
giusedtobe
for sticking with it and not throwing a stick of dynamite at it. Amazing also all the feedback from the awesome board members and all your help and advise. Turned out to be a nice Trooper and you really have done a lot to it. Long journey!
I spend a lot of time alone way out in the back country where there is no cell signal, and that is one of the reasons or the main reason I did the weber conversion and ecm delete. Keeping it simple and serviceable.
If I look around at junkyards for a G80, are there different Isuzu models and years I should ask about?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #565 ·
Thanks or condolences for reading all that!

Sadly I am experiencing a new problem. On the highway the other day it lost power. Just felt like it was running on three cylinders. I pulled off the highway and it shut off. Started back up but I had to rev it to keep it running. Was not hot and oil pressure was good so I limped it home and parked it. Will not have a chance to trouble shoot it until this weekend but no check engine light or anything. Other than a plug wire breaking down or something else electrical I am not sure what it would be. Any ideas before I dig in?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks or condolences for reading all that!

Sadly I am experiencing a new problem. On the highway the other day it lost power. Just felt like it was running on three cylinders. I pulled off the highway and it shut off. Started back up but I had to rev it to keep it running. Was not hot and oil pressure was good so I limped it home and parked it. Will not have a chance to trouble shoot it until this weekend but no check engine light or anything. Other than a plug wire breaking down or something else electrical I am not sure what it would be. Any ideas before I dig in?
Haha, no - it was interesting and I sure admired your persistence and patience.
This happened to me once. Turned out to be a crack in the ignition coil. An easy fix. I hope yours is as simple of an issue. If your coil is on the valve cover, that little ground wire going to the firewall is important too.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Any change in noise? When my EGR tube broke (on the highway) mine lost power, but picked up exhaust noise. Just start by giving a good visual inspection - could be something as simple as a hose off or wire off. Dennis

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
Well I finally found time to do a little troubleshooting and thought I'd start with a compression check just to rule that out; Neither 2 or 3 had any compression:(

So let me back up and say that a few weeks before this the oil pressure gauge was slow to come up. I assumed this was due to dodgy electrical stuff because once while driving the temp and fuel gauge quit only to start again shortly after. This oil pressure thing only happened on start up and then it would come up. Oil is at capacity so that is not it. Maybe a cheap chinese oil pump failure or a clogged oil gallery? It never ran hot and like I said, it was running great and then it wasn't.

Blown head gasket between #2 & #3? Don't see any coolant in the oil. Can't imagine it would be valve related seeing as there are two cylinders affected but obviously I am no expert here.

What do you guys think? & no it was not a FelPro HG.

Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, that bites...did you re-torque the heads and check valves after the initial 500 miles? Might need to pull the valve cover and check things.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
"No, it was not a Felpro head gasket" What kind was it? If it was a Chicom head gasket, there's your problem.
Refresh my memory: Did you get a new head? Was it an old head? Was it resurfaced?
Bummer, really sorry to hear this. Same thing happened on my Spacecab "rebuild", it popped the H.G. right before 1,000 miles. They can blow between cylinders and never affect oil or coolant. MINE ended up having a slight warp between 3 and 4. Dennis

Reactions: zzzmick

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #573 ·
I used the gasket that came with the kit and yes it was chinese garbage. I was too far in and trying to save money. Pretty stupid. Yeah its a new head from Clearwater.

Gonna have to get myself psyched up to pull the head again!

Dennis what do you think about the slow oil pressure rise? From my description do you think this is a sender issue, electrical? I assume the pump is good since it does produce pressure.

Also shouldn't there have been a CEL for loss of compression or cylinder misfire?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 ·
Also I assume this test is definitive and it can only be the HG or a valve issue. I know stupid question but I thought I'd ask before pulling the head. I already ordered a FelPro HG

·
Registered
191 Posts
This sucks. You probably know, it is much easier to pull the head with the intake attached.(Especially with the itec).

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #576 ·
Yeah it does. And yeah I will leave every bit I can attached to the head. Not looking forward to disconnecting all those damn hoses under the I-Tec. Only had around 3000 miles on the rebuild. If it does it again I guess I will repair it again and then immediately sell it.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
I used the gasket that came with the kit and yes it was chinese garbage. I was too far in and trying to save money. Pretty stupid. Yeah its a new head from Clearwater.

Gonna have to get myself psyched up to pull the head again!

Dennis what do you think about the slow oil pressure rise? From my description do you think this is a sender issue, electrical? I assume the pump is good since it does produce pressure.

Also shouldn't there have been a CEL for loss of compression or cylinder misfire?
The ITEC isn't "smart" enough to read misfires or compression. I woud lay money that you have a simple breach between the two cylinders. The oil pressure is probably just sender, but I would invest in a mechanical gauge / fittings to verify. If / when you pull the head, check it with a straight edge especially around the two affected cylinders. Dennis

·
Registered
20 Posts
new to the party, took awhile to read through the 29 pages. I understand your frustration with the startup. My guess is a blown head gasket. Just yesterday I drug one of my non-running troopers into the barn to see if I could get it running again. It quit at least 5 years ago and has been sitting since. I fought with it for some time before I just pushed it out of the way.

As I recall I was driving and it just quit, now I believe it is the distributor optical eye. I didn't have fuel yesterday but I can make it sort of fire with starting fluid. My plan is to pull the engine and put it into a 2 door 88 trooper that I have that has a locked down engine. Thinking if I can get it running I might try to convert the 2 door 5 speed into an automatic. I had the automatic trans rebuilt not long before it quit so I think it is still good.

Much respect for fighting through the rebuild issues. I hate the icotec myself. Would love to go Weber if I could find one.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #580 ·
You guys mentioned a head gasket shim before and my compression was pretty high so I am wondering if it may make sense to use one this time. Do you recommend using one? I do not know the exact amount the machine shop took off the top of the block when they decked it. If I do use one does reduce the life of the HG or have any other negative effect? What sealant do you use between the block and the shim?

Thanks
Alan

561 - 580 of 582 Posts