Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm making this thread in response to inquiries I've been getting about the highroof (hi top, bubble top, etc.) and the TD (turbodiesel) hoodscoop. I'm no engineer, neither a toolhead. So I won't be able to answer yet questions on its measurements and all. But hopefully I can help out soon.

(Warning: Picture Heavy)

Here are photos for your reference:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the cabin interior:

View from the open backdoor The previous owner installed a second AC unit in the middle of the cabin. What you see are the black air vents. The AC blower is found near the RR wheel well.

There's only one cabin light
This is found mounted on the slope following the downward slope of the highroof.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Great pics. Thank you very much.

shooter

·
Registered
198 Posts
That roof is a sweet mod.
Isuzu Discovery, Landtrooper II, Isuzand Discooper II .... ok I stop now...

Discooper II is my Fav btw

-C

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Very Nice!

Just for the record...
Are the roof and scoop steel or fiberglass?
I think you mentioned adding the scoop yourself, did you add the roof or is it a factory installed one.
I ask mainly because I see the cracked joint in a few pics

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
DREDnot said:
Very Nice!

Just for the record...
Are the roof and scoop steel or fiberglass?
I think you mentioned adding the scoop yourself, did you add the roof or is it a factory installed one.
I ask mainly because I see the cracked joint in a few pics
I've researched this, they're both fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hi all,
Very nice photos Jacubs.

The roof is a factory option, they are made from metal sheet just like the other body sheets. I've talked to one of the engineer from the factory, the whole roof and the frame is different, compared to standard flat roof.

Hood Scoop is made from fiberglass, and the hood that comes with it had a rectangular hole for the intercooler. Yes, it's originally for Intercooled Turbo Diesel version only.

I've seen an 1986 brochure from UK that shows HighRoof version as an optional. For Japanese market they came for '90s Lotus Edition. Some Asian RHD market had that version between '87-'90, probably from UK's version.

Sorry, I had no picture to show at this time. But I'll try to find some.

Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
justwork said:
I've researched this, they're both fiberglass.
ubs_lover said:
The roof is a factory option, they are made from metal sheet just like the other body sheets.
Alrighty then...

Jacubs???
What say ye for the tiebreaker?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
A proper test would consist of either brake fluid or a magnet; perhaps both. :shock:

·
Registered
258 Posts
shooter said:
A proper test would consist of either brake fluid or a magnet; perhaps both. :shock:
Could you expound on the brake fluid comment for me?
I don't understand how this could help determine metal vs fiberglass.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It was my understanding that both are fiberglass, and that the roof was made similar to the westfalia style ones... Obviously they don't function like one. Just attached in a similar manner. I also believe that the high roof was most common in the middle east, and I think Jacob imported his from there if I'm not mistaken.

I could be wrong, it happens often. Either way I love them.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
trooperbeliever said:
shooter said:
Could you expound on the brake fluid comment for me?
I don't understand how this could help determine metal vs fiberglass.
Thank you.
Certainly, pour the brake fluid onto the painted surface. As the fluid begins to damage the paint, it will form pockets and multi-dimensions. Pour again. The previous damage will hold the fluid and allow it to concentrate on the target area and not flow away via a slick surface. It should begin dissolving through both the paint and any primer. You will then be able to determine the surface material, be it metal or glass. If in doubt, apply the magnet. DOT 5 will not work due to it being noncorrosive.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
justwork said:
It was my understanding that both are fiberglass, and that the roof was made similar to the westfalia style ones... Obviously they don't function like one. Just attached in a similar manor. I also believe that the high roof was most common in the middle east, and I think Jacob imported his from there if I'm not mistaken.

I could be wrong, it happens often. Either way I love them.
Looks like glass to me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hold back the brake fluid! The highroof is sheetmetal :D

The crack you see is actually the line where the highroof meets the 'lowroof'. The roof ain't a whole piece, it's a 2-component thing. It only looks glassy because I had it repainted recently and the guy did a nice job with the rubbing compound, so it looks shiny. Unfortunately the crack appeared, we tried covering it with bondo but to no avail. I guess the heat here plus rain made it so.

As Andy said (ubs_lover), it is an option. I see a lot in the UK (internet). I've actually seen one here in Manila having the highroof AND moonroof. I'm guessing moonroof is the one you can't slide out open? Andy knows more of the TD's, he and his gang down in Indonesia has a very active Trooper group.

The TD in the UK, Australia, Japan and MidEast came with all these dealer options, including the OE bullbar and sidesteps. As justwork mentioned mine came from the MiddleEast (Dubai) from the gray market. I'm guessing the highroof there is a regular thing, considering the heat and all.

The hoodscoop is the one made with fiberglass. It comes with built-in bolts. I wanted to change to stainless ones but I couldn't remove them, they're like embedded in the structure. You'll see in the pic above how the bolts protrude way deep inside the engine bay, only because the turbo diesel air filter frame isn't there anymore. Mine's the 4ZD1.

My forum name, jacubs, comes from the VIN. I don't know really what JAC means, but we all know UBS.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
There ya go!

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Just what I thought; metal wiped with putty giving the appearance of fiberglass. :lol:

The scoop has studs embedded in the glass? No inserts, metal bushing, or something similar? Weird.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yup.. Just like Jacubs said. It's two pieces. The whole roof and structure is different with the flat/standard roof.

As you can see that the roof front part is also higher than the standard one.

Some country even had moonroof option.

Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has anyone considered a transplant from a disco? I've lined up a roof section from one for cheap. If it looks do-able I might hot metal glue gun it on. might also look terrible

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.