Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi All--
I have my former daily driver up for sale. Spoiler alert- needs engine work for a lower-end knock.

If you're still reading, some details:
- Rare Turbodiesel trooper
-174k miles
- Body and interior in great shape- lived in the West most of its life until 2008
- Stock auto hubs, work fine (I don't 4x4 much)
- Good tires
- All maint. records since 2001 (owner maintained)
- 2-door with split-fold seat (converts to bed)

Recent:
- rebuilt Injection pump with viton seals (biodiesel ready)
- Hard fuel and brake lines
- Exhaust from manifold back
- Professionally cleaned and tested injectors

The bad:
- Lower-end knock, pretty sure it's connecting rod or bearing based on the advice from this thread: https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 3#p5482919 (you can hear the knock in the videos posted there).
- after 12 years in the Northeast, some rust is starting to show- nothing at all terminal (pics of the worst of it below) but will need to be addressed for a long life. Frame is fully solid.

Some photos (more in following posts):
DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

Located in New Hampshire, happy to help arrange transport, and/or a Zoom viewing. Looking to get $1,500 for it.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update (as per forum directions)- Trooper no longer available (my daughter actually convinced me to make a go of the rebuild as a father-daughter project). Thanks for any interest!

Cheers,
Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds Like a great use for the Trooper. I hope it is true a joint effort, and that the truck, and more so your time together with it, earns a special place in your family.
Good luck, and God Bless.
Chris

·
Registered
205 Posts
"Recent:
- rebuilt Injection pump with viton seals (biodiesel ready)"

Who did the rebuild on the injection pump?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did the rebuild. It's a complicated piece of machinery, but by being careful and methodical, and taking your time (took me about 2 months of after-4-year-olds-bedtime time to get it done) it can be done. No special tools required. I took lots of photos but documented the whole process but that's all on a harddrive from a computer that is now defunct so I haven't put it on a blog or anything....

But it can be done! Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bob

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,713 Posts
robertlhawley said:
I did the rebuild. It's a complicated piece of machinery, but by being careful and methodical, and taking your time (took me about 2 months of after-4-year-olds-bedtime time to get it done) it can be done. No special tools required. I took lots of photos but documented the whole process but that's all on a harddrive from a computer that is now defunct so I haven't put it on a blog or anything....
Bob,

I'd love to see your pics of this process. I'm wondering about the "No special tools required" part.

And one of your pics shows an oil recovery reservoir. That item isn't original. They were typically added with factory replacement engines that had "third generation" connecting rods, after connecting rod failures of the original engine.

One of your posts above suggested you had a connecting rod that was going bad. Is that what you found, when you rebuilt it? Or have you not gotten that far. I haven't heard of a third gen rod failing.

Jack

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll see if I can dig up the pics of the process, and get them posted somewhere, possibly here! It'll involve reurrecting the hard drive from a computer that is long gone, so it may take a while.

I myself was also surprised to learn that the oil reservoir was indicative of likely 3rd generation rods. Notes from the previous owner stated "the engine was rebuilt at XXXX miles due to overheating" but nothing about rod failure.

I haven't gotten far enough to know whether it really is a rod (though my daughter was enthusiastic about the idea, it has yet to turn into a lot of time spent), so it's certainly possible that it's something else- but the symptoms seem to point to it (see https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 3#p5482919 for my diagnosis and links to the videos of the sound).

But when we get it apart I should post back to that thread with the results!
Cheers,
Bob

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
very nice! always loved the round headlights and grill...over the later square headlights, etc...

those early Troopers are priceless...and were solid work horses, especially the diesels..

you should have no problem getting your asking price.....and someone can save this Trooper..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Anyone who was looking at this rig earlier- a quick coda; after another year sitting in the carport I crawled under it to asses the rust and found the frame had rusted further, to the point where I'd need to basically replace the frame to drive it on the road in NH. Also my daughter lost interest in the project... So it's now 1/2 way through the engine rebuild (including having a new rod and repaired crank) but I'm once again trying to find a new home for it. I continue to hope someone can save this Trooper! I've posted that as a new advert in this forum as well: [link]
Thanks!
Cheers,
Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts