Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All--
The short version is that this is a complete 1986 TD trooper that was halfway through an engine rebuild when I discovered 'inspection failure' level rust (New Hampshire) on the frame. I don't have the $$, space or inclination to replace the frame or transplant the rebuilt engine into a rust-free Trooper but hopefully you do! At this point just hoping to recover the roughly $500 in machine shop work and a a new connecting rod.

The long version includes what the knock sounded like when I was first diagnosing it (this thread) and then with the engine out and the bottom end exposed what the bearing (or lack thereof) looked like. Between the beginning and the end of that thread, and perhaps obviously before I discovered the rust, I thought to sell, and posted it in this forum, with lots of photos and details about the truck (here). Then my daughter convinced me to undertake the rebuild, I got everything apart, found a new rod (shipped from Greece), had the crank repaired, and then...

Noticing that the body rust had worsened in the time it'd been sitting I crawled under to really look hard at it, and found the frame rusty enough that it won't pass NH inspection. It's still solid-feeling, but there's rust inside and outside the rails and the drain holes are crumbly in the interior of the wheel arches. So I won't be putting that engine back in...

If you're still reading, have a look at the details I posted last year, and then read on. Since then, I've pulled the engine and transmission, and disassembled the engine- putting all of the pieces in labeled boxes of course. So everything is there to rebuild, with a repaired crank and a new rod you'll need new bearings and the standard gaskets of course. As you can see from the photos the interior is also in pretty good shape so you could use that in your transplant as well.

Long post, thanks for reading. More details on the recent work are on this blog if you want to read more- I hope someone can give this Trooper some new life!

Cheers,
Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Price reduced! Make any offer... At this point the money is less important to me than making sure this rig doesn't have to go to the crusher. Lots of great parts besides the C223T and drivetrain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts