Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to introduce Charlie, my 86 Trooper II. I got her from a widower up in the San Juans in WA. Her husband bought it new, so I'm the second owner of this all original with 57,000 miles. They used it as a beach truck so it has a bit of surface rust on the underbody, but being originally from Ohio I'm used to wrestling with rusty bolts.

Since then I've put a few miles on her and done a basic tune-up and fluid change. Here's a proof pic (check out the trip :twisted: )

So, I'm here to share my experience as I begin to restore this daily driver and hopefully help others as I will need some guidance from you guys!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a list starting now that my XJ is running good.

1) New shocks going on this weekend
2) Start pricing some new tires, and look for FSM
3) Brakes all around
4) I picked up a new clutch kit and will start on that next week

But first, I found this the other day:

Looks like it's time for a water pump. While I'm in there should I replace the timing belt? Or do I have some life left in it?

Also, since since Isuzu is commercial only now, where's the best place for OEM?

Another thing I've noticed while I was under the Trooper:

Looks like it's coming from a drain hose resting by the passenger side motor mount. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
OMG, that looks RESTORED already, lol.. Good lord do I wish I had your problems. My old gal had 160+k on her when I got her, was already a rust bucket, and that was a decade ago!!!!

I am, however currently in the middle of sandblasting the frame, welding in extra metal, and undercoating her. I honestly don't think I'll stop driving her so long as I have something I can weld replacements onto.

Welcome to the Planet and what a beautiful truck!

<<Kinda partial to the 86's.. ;)

·
Registered
706 Posts
That's one helluva 86 you got there! Also, your front diff looks a LOT like mine, what with covered in oil and all.

Anyways, great looking Trooper and can't wait to watch the resto!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Timing belts should be changed at 60,000 mile intervals- you are there.
rockauto.com has good parts prices, their Gates timing belt & tensioner kit is the cheapest I have found.
That drain hose at the passenger side motor mount is sort of an overflow connected to the fuel pump, if it is leaking oil & not an occasional drop of fuel the fuel pump has a hole in it, it could just as easily be leaking fuel into the oil & ruin an engine- replace the fuel pump. Hint: remove the tire & rubber fender liner & do it through the wheel well, same with the starter when you do your clutch.

·
Registered
496 Posts
wow, that is a pretty trooper, good luck with her!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Thanks for the links, justwork. I've owned 3 Jeep Cherokees now and I'm not used to a truck with an actual frame! I plan on getting to the frame around winter, for now I want to get her running tip top first.

Oldestisuzuist, I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that oil is getting into my fuel pump? I've recently changed the spark plugs and they were perfectly worn, nice light tan. No sign of oil getting into the combustion chamber. ???

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Being that it obviously has spent quite a bit of it's life just sitting, your seals are probably all just about toast. Sitting (ie dry rot) is bad for vehicles in its own way as it breaks down all the soft parts. Beautiful truck though. I really would love to have one just like it. Congrats and welcome.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since I had some cheap Gabriels that fit the Trooper laying around, I decided to start with changing out the shocks while I wait for the waterpump to arrive.

Almost everything on Charlie is original; how about 24 year old shocks! (notice that it is fully compressed, still like that laying on the shelf)

Rides much better. Still needs new tires and better shocks in the front.

I also decided to investigate the vacuum hose situation and see what I need to replace. I found this hose that comes from the air cleaner to the back of the valve cover:

I could'nt find any direct replacement for that hose, so I used some 1/2 inch radiator hose for the time being. I noticed a bit steadier idle. How important is that hose?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
fourzeedee1 said:
How important is that hose?
I dont have this engine but I would have to surmise that it has to do with smog control/emissions.

http://www.myisuzuparts.com/ This is a great site to get part #'s and track down the actual name of what you have. Their is a keyword search at the bottom and will often bring up graphical diagrams of the part in question so identification is a snap. It has been a useful tool for me on more than one occasion.

Wow, those shocks were toast. I thought the truck looked kind of squatty there at first. Is it a little higher now?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Oh and btw, KYB's shocks ride really nice have a strong delighted following both among street tuners and 4x4 folks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Congrats on the trooper!

Have fun getting it back to tip top shape.

Before you do any brake work, read this:

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=39670&highlight=trooper+brake+upgrade

This goes into pulling front rotors and calipers off of newer trucks and upgrading the gen1 brakes to something bigger. It's on my list of stuff to do to mine, but many people have said it makes a huge difference. Pay particular attention to rollintroopers posts. I figure if you're already planning on doing brake work, you might as well make it part of improving the overall setup of the truck.

Have fun!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bob w/ a trooper said:
Congrats on the trooper!

Have fun getting it back to tip top shape.

Before you do any brake work, read this:

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=39670&highlight=trooper+brake+upgrade

This goes into pulling front rotors and calipers off of newer trucks and upgrading the gen1 brakes to something bigger. It's on my list of stuff to do to mine, but many people have said it makes a huge difference. Pay particular attention to rollintroopers posts. I figure if you're already planning on doing brake work, you might as well make it part of improving the overall setup of the truck.

Have fun!
Ok, so I started to do some research on this because my brakes DO suck. I know I need new pads and rotors and a fluid change, but there's something else that makes it feel like that can't be the end-all of it. It also makes sense because when I pulled the wheels off to replace the shocks, I wondered about the size of the rotor and how it seemed small. Anyways, I haven't seen anything about the 86-87 troopers. Just the 88-91.
Will this upgrade still work on my 86?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
i think you would need to change to a 10 bolt front axil.
to do the front brake up-grade.

never have heard for serton of a up-grade for the 8 bolt.
other than putting in a 10 bolt in, and then putting the bigger brakes on it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.