Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One owner, until a few days ago when I became the second owner. Very nice original paint rust free unit with full records and that little notebook with every fill up and oil change for 35 years. I've owned hundreds of european cars since 1980 and do my own work... this is my first Isuzu, and my first Japanese car since 1988. Wasn't really looking for this, and it wasn't for sale. I came upon it locally and was impressed with the passion of the original owner and the decades of care he lavished on it.

I've only had it a few days I'll put up some fore photos soon.

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Tire

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Wow, that's a beaut. And it looks like the original spare tire! Those haven't been around in decades!

·
Registered
209 Posts
One owner, until a few days ago when I became the second owner. Very nice original paint rust free unit with full records and that little notebook with every fill up and oil change for 35 years. I've owned hundreds of european cars since 1980 and do my own work... this is my first Isuzu, and my first Japanese car since 1988. Wasn't really looking for this, and it wasn't for sale. I came upon it locally and was impressed with the passion of the original owner and the decades of care he lavished on it.

View attachment 120945
Nice! How much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,231 Posts
Don't know if I've ever seen a cleaner one. It actually looks brand new.

·
Registered
287 Posts
WOW...that is a beaut. I do believe it's the nicest stock Trooper (that still survives) I've seen. Great find, congrats!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
88K miles... bought new and remained in Groton CT its whole life. Has some needs; exhaust has been welded on, is rattley, and has some broken rubber hangers. Going to start over with that. Could use a little paint correction It should come up really well. It's missing a couple dashboard under panels I put a thread in the classifieds about those. The wheels could use a refinish I see they are readily available exchange. Needs tires anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts

View attachment 120945
wow! a beauty.. congrats! welcome.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow, it looks shiny and new. Nice one!

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 120945
how many miles on your Trooper?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
A few tips; adjust the valves and make sure the cooling system (radiator, fan clutch, hoses, thermostat - 180 degrees F) is up to snuff. These 4-cyl ZuZu engines have a tendency to burn exhaust valves #3 and #4. Adjusting the valves at regular intervals helps.

If the cooling system has problems and the engine overheats, you'll likely blow the head gasket and/or crack the head. Definitely replace the small heater core hoses at the driver's rear firewall; I've had several Troopers blow out these hoses. Check your radiator, if it has a single-row of wide tubes, it'd probably be a good idea to plan on a replacement in the future. The newer-style metal radiators have a double-row of tubes. If you have a local radiator shop they can check the rad for proper flow and pressure test it.

The transmission and xfer case have separate drain/fill plugs. Both take motor oil. Straight 30W works well in warmer climes, you can use a 10W-30 multigrade in colder temps. Synthetic motor oil, or a performance trans oil (such as Redline) work well.

Very nice, clean-looking rig and the tu-tone paint looks sharp. Congrats on a good find!.......ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A few tips; adjust the valves and make sure the cooling system (radiator, fan clutch, hoses, thermostat - 180 degrees F) is up to snuff. These 4-cyl ZuZu engines have a tendency to burn exhaust valves #3 and #4. Adjusting the valves at regular intervals helps.

If the cooling system has problems and the engine overheats, you'll likely blow the head gasket and/or crack the head. Definitely replace the small heater core hoses at the driver's rear firewall; I've had several Troopers blow out these hoses. Check your radiator, if it has a single-row of wide tubes, it'd probably be a good idea to plan on a replacement in the future. The newer-style metal radiators have a double-row of tubes. If you have a local radiator shop they can check the rad for proper flow and pressure test it.

The transmission and xfer case have separate drain/fill plugs. Both take motor oil. Straight 30W works well in warmer climes, you can use a 10W-30 multigrade in colder temps. Synthetic motor oil, or a performance trans oil (such as Redline) work well.

Very nice, clean-looking rig and the tu-tone paint looks sharp. Congrats on a good find!.......ed
Appreciate your points.. I do all my own work and this unit does need a few things. It does have the single row radiator and some of the fins are a little rotten, so it is getting replaced soon. I'm a big fan of redline gear oils in old trannys, a lot of them really smooth out nicely after about a hundred miles of use.

There are a fair amount of records with this truck, all of the cooling hoses have been changed and it has had MANY valve adjustments over the years the most recent one being about 4K miles ago. The PO put around 500 to 800 miles per year on it for the last 10 years or so, but continued services "as if" it was getting regular miles....including timing belts, ignition components, valve adjustments, hoses, fluid changes, etc. A timing belt that was 5 years old was replaced even though it had 2,700 miles on it !

The PO also hoarded many new parts of the years, fearing he would not be able to find them since isuzu cars left the united states...including multiples of every cooling hose, filters, a new heater core, suspension wear items, every light fixture on the vehicle, bumper ends, brake components etc. ALL OE stuff in isuzu boxes. (but no radiator!)

My first major fix is a complete exhaust system from Manifold to rear bumper. This one has been hacked together by Meineke over the years, the original cat is gone and a POS aftermarket (poorly) welded in, the big muffler is rotten from the inside out (short trips) the hangars are cobbled by the Meineke "professionals". My buddy owns a performance exhaust shop and we're going to do an entire 2-1/4" 304 stainless system. There will be additions.. a flex pipe near the front right after the bracket, a new technology cat, a resonator (this is an addition) then a no baffle muffler, then out the back. all held together with 304 band clamps so it can get in and out as many times as one wants.

He is quite advanced at building these things and my only demand was "NOT loud" We'll be building this in the next few weeks I'll post some pics here.

Got the orginal radio back in there... looks and sounds great!

Vehicle Gas Audio equipment Audio receiver Electronic device

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
A no baffle muffler will be louder than you want. At least that's my experience.
Yeah, that's a possibility. The planned resonator might help with that a bit.

IMHO a good turbo muffler would solve the issue, lower restriction with decent noise attenuation. At any rate, the stainless system should be nice and definitely an upgrade over OE.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts