Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one day a few weeks back the trooper decided to start running really rough. First I noticed it has an issue topping out at anything more than 50mph. Now it starts and the fast idle kicks in up to like 2000 RPM (really high), then once I tap the gas to disengage the fast idle, the engine dies. Here are things I have done so far to try and fix. Checked for vacuum leaks, checked the fuel filter, ran two cans of carb cleaner through the carb, changed the spark plugs, tested for spark on all cylinders. That seems to be it. Any more ideas?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i would guess your carb needs rebuilding , also put on a new distrub cap, they will arch over between cylinders in the cap.

if you can afford a weber 32/36 carb its the best thing you can do. find them on ebay pretty cheap sometimes.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
check your plug wires.i have seen plug wires in such bad shape that in total darkness they will cross fire,you can see sparks dancing between the plug wires 8) recon

·
Registered
523 Posts
recon said:
check your plug wires.i have seen plug wires in such bad shape that in total darkness they will cross fire,you can see sparks dancing between the plug wires 8) recon
I agree...my 86 was running rough, backfiring, and had low power.....changed fuel filter, plugs, dist cap, dist rotor....no cure. Changed the wires which LOOKED new, and found chew marks on the undersides of them....new wires and she purrs!

·
Registered
169 Posts
After you get the old gas out and add new...try a maintenance dose of
Sea Foam(1/2 bottle 1st tank and 1/2 bottle second tank!
...it just might help that old carb. or the injectors.
It worked wonders on my carb.
Not the final answer but it will help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts