Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We (my dad and I) picked this up in Murfreesboro back in '98. It was painted white and needed brakes and a lot of TLC. It was rough.

We ended up putting power steering and disc brakes on it before the motor was rebuilt (2F). We had it painted dodge viper yellow and took out the random grey ford van seats and put in racing seats with harnesses. The carb was switched to a weber and she got new tires.

I drove this cruiser all over the place when I was in high school and it was a ton of fun. Unfortunately, I couldn't take it to college with me and it sat for 9 month's of the year and was pretty much only pulled out to pass emissions/get tagged and then I drove it for a couple days before it got parked again. The last time I drove it was when my wife and I were first dating in 2008. It passed emissions and we went for a ride.

I got frustrated with my projects at home and went to my parent's this past weekend to see what Trooperchris was doing with his 2001 Trooper. Since they were side by side, I grabbed the keys and tried to start it. The battery was on a charger so I turned the key on to build up fuel pressure. Hit the switch and she fired up, a little rough but she started! The clutch had somehow drained itself dry. So I put a little dot 3 in the reservoir and bled it. She was under her own power within 10 minutes, albeit kinda rough. Checked out all the other fluids and took her for a spin. Since its a 75 and 75 is the first year that has to be tested for emissions in our county, I had to get it checked for hydrocarbons and other CO crap.

I headed over there and paid my $10 tax to get tested, only to have to explain that it didn't come with a catalytic convertor. It failed :( and then died. It started back up but died in the parking lot of the testing facility. Good thing I have a tow bar. Pulled it home and got to looking at it. Points closed up. Reset them and boom! She runs without any coughing. I will take her to be retested next week sometime.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Land Cruisers are gay

:wink:
Too bad about the emissions testing. That is one thing nice about having a '69 in that it's omitted from the testing. Dude, we should do a TLC meet some time. There is a Tennesse chapter of the TLCA. They have meet and greets in areas that would be convenient to both of us probably. Your cruiser is a lot more spiffy than mine.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked and saw that there is a meet in Sparta, TN the weekend of May 21st. I have to head up to Knoxville that weekend, but I might try to swing over and down to check in on it. I've always kept the cruiser around town except for the one time I got lost over near Beasley Knob... thats a different story.

I've never had the cruiser off road; my father funded the project since I was in highschool at the time and he was very adamant that a nice vehicle wasn't going off road. He has always hated mud and thinks its a waste of a good vehicle, so I have never taken it anywhere. Its completely stock so I don't know how well it'd do. I'd consider some trail rides in it. I'd love to see yours sometime.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I'll be out of town that weekend too so no worries. As for wheeling the cruiser. I'm not really much for it either. I see it as more of a classic and I'd like to preserve it somewhat. I'm sure it's more than capable as I'm sure yours is too but why beat it up when I have a trooper that I can wheel that's already dented and scratched? I'll keep my ear to the ground and if there is a meet I can go to, I'll be sure to let you know.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
One of my brothers has had several of those, he never modified them, just drove them stock. It is an extremely capable machine. Trust me they will run neck and neck with a stock 1st gen Trooper! They do ride a bit rough on the trail, just go slow and enjoy the looks you will get. That is a clean looking machine and it has been sitting for how long??

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
hessmess said:
One of my brothers has had several of those, he never modified them, just drove them stock. It is an extremely capable machine. Trust me they will run neck and neck with a stock 1st gen Trooper! They do ride a bit rough on the trail, just go slow and enjoy the looks you will get. That is a clean looking machine and it has been sitting for how long??
As an owner of both, it's not exactly apples to apples. The trooper is IFS. The TLC is a solid front axle. The trooper (most of the time) is LWB. The TLC (most of the time) is SWB. Those factors alone will dramatically affect the ride. To be perfectly honest, the TLC is a better crawler than the trooper. More suspension flex and much more power. The trooper is a much better utility rig though. Troopers have a fantastic amount of cargo space. Very useful. I wouldn't get rid of either one honestly.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My father knows a guy who has inquired about my cruiser. His 18 year old son is DYING to have mine. Apparently my father had told him about it a while ago and they said if you ever want to sell it, let us know. Now they are getting serious and wanting to buy it. They have even offered to help uncover it and get it out the garage and get it running. My father has a bad back and has told them he can't get it out, so their son is wanting to come help. I am kinda over it; I never drive it and I have moved on to other things. I could use the money and dad could use the space in his garage.

With that said, what do you guys think would be an appropriate asking price for a 75 FJ40 with power steering, disc brakes, weber carb on a recently rebuilt 2f motor. Pretty decent paint with a few rust bubbles (the body had been z-bar treated). It has the off road seats and 5 point belts and rear jump seats. Stock suspension. Roof rack. Any ideas?

I've seen on NADA's website that $13,650 is "average" which is defined as an older restoration with minor blemishes and is in sound mechanical shape- which is where mine is. I'd love to get $13k for it, but is that far fetched?!?!?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
In the current market, I see ones like that going for closer to 10k right now. When the economy improves and people start having money for.toys again, you can probably get closer to 15k for it.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Its been so long since I even looked at one of these. I would look at Ebay, NADA, and ask around. There has to be a forum around to ask also, but like us they may be cheap. I would hesitate selling it to a kid, you know it may get trashed. Thats what happened to my brothers, he sold it and 2 weeks later he picked it back up with a tow truck, kid had rolled it on a straight road. But if you got the cash in hand it makes the pain easier.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went over to clean it out and move the piles of junk that were all around it. I replaced the intake/exhaust manifold gasket. It had blown out the top along two of the exhaust ports and was leaking. I had bought a gasket years ago and its been in the back seat ever since. I looked at the receipt- 5/21/07! Exactly 5 years ago!!! I put it all back together, but it was still leaking- I think that's why it burned out the gasket, because it wasn't fully sealed off.

I was thinking somewhere in the 10k range, but didn't know exactly where to start. Might have to have that conversation with the potential buyers and see where it ends up. I don't mind selling it to a kid; someone sold it to me! I'd like someone to drive it, and wouldn't mind getting it back on the road except that I don't have room at my house and it barely fits in the garage at my folks. Not to mention the mpgs...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.