Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Hoping to solicit some feedback from the Planet community on this!

I have a daughter turning 16 next year, and we're already talking about vehicle choices and budgeting. Although she's learing to drive a manual (my Trooper) her first vehicle will be an automatic. She's welcome to drive Mom's minivan, but of course she wants none of that.

I have been thinking about a 91 - 92 Rodeo XS or LS with automatic. The reasons would be cost (the ones I find for sale tend to be fairly low cost), safety, ease of maintenance, etc.

I think the GM-based 3.1 might be better from a maintenance perspective, and also be lower powered, which is what I want. There will be minimal, if any, freeway driving and no offroading. The first couple years will be trips to school, activities, the market, etc.

Can anyone that owns one of these give me your thougths?

Thanks! :bom:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Tatohead said:
There will be minimal, if any, freeway driving and no offroading.
Famous last words.

And just wait until she lets the boyfriend/s drive !

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
GoodyMOBB said:
Back seat folds all the way down too... just sayin!
ROFLOL

I'd be looking for an OLD vw bug, or karman ghia, or maybe just a vesper scooter, for my 16yo daughter...

Just agreeing...

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
No offroading???? Yeah right! My youngest daughter (now 19 and in college) got the SLX for her first car and she drives it to URE, not to mention playing in the swamps around the house! I had an engine issue with it about this same time last year (wound-up rebuilding another 3.5 for it) but when it first died, me and her mom offered to buy her another vehicle. She didn't want another vehicle, she wanted the SLX :D

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Gas prices as they are, buy her the Rodeo...you may end up with it! Or, guess another thought might be buy the Rodeo if you don't want her driving all over God's creation. No gas keeps you home. I know my kids spent most of their time enjoying their new found liberation and even now appreciate gas gift cards.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HAHAHA! Great responses.

Knowing that the Rodeo (or Trooper, or other SUV) gets lousy gas mileage is part of the plan. She'll be paying for her own gas, and this is a way to limit the range away from Dad.

The folding back seat.... OK, that may completely scuttle this idea. :shock: Maybe we'll look for that Geo Metro after all......

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I wouldn't put her into an automatic, but that's just my personal hang-up. I made all my kids learn in a standard, and made them learn how one works before I'd take them to get their permits (yes, I actually gave them a test, but I'm pretty sure the oldest helped the others cheat a little...they seemed to do better on the test than he did).

I don't believe anybody should be allowed to operate any vehicle that they understand nothing about.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Being the 17 year old with a Rodeo...

Give her the 3.2L. Your daughter will need the power if she is ever driving on a road over 40mph. It isn't anything to brag about, but the 3.1L with an auto to me (when I test drove one) felt terrible comapred to a 3.2 with an auto or manual. I test drove both, and drive a manual 3.2.

I know you want to limit her power, but the acceleration is where she will need it. I almost wish I had more just to speed up to 45mph. :(

3.2L with the 5 Speed I get around 20mpg. the 3.1L XS i test drove (it was a 92) was reportedly getting around 17. and i drive alot of city driving.

just food for thought.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Rhodes said:
I wouldn't put her into an automatic, but that's just my personal hang-up. I made all my kids learn in a standard, and made them learn how one works before I'd take them to get their permits (yes, I actually gave them a test, but I'm pretty sure the oldest helped the others cheat a little...they seemed to do better on the test than he did).

I don't believe anybody should be allowed to operate any vehicle that they understand nothing about.
She's been driving with me in my manual Trooper with her permit for almost a year now on a permit, so she can drive a stick. With and auto their is one less to think about for a new driver, plus has no radio and its going to stay that way.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think it's an excellent idea and pretty much what I intend to do with my lad. We're going to get something cheap and broken now and work on it together so it'll be ready when he gets his license.

Automatic is smart too. Kids have too much to worry about out on the road, learning to drive defensively, and don't need to have to switch concentration to worry about what gear they're in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
make sure you have the frame checked. I was transporting my family 250 miles to children's hospital for our sons surgery and the support bar broke off the frame where it was so rusted. We were doing 70 miles per hour when it dropped and honestly we are lucky to be alive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts