Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share this find that I discovered. A solid pinion collar made for a Toyota 8 inch axle will fit the 10 bolt on a 95 Trooper. It's slightly longer than the Isuzu needs, so I have the machine shop cut it to the length of the stock one and then shave it half a thou at a time while I'm there test fitting it to get around 3-5in/lbs of preload per FSM. Now it is less likely for the pinion to wander under high stress and the pinion seal can be changed on the vehicle without crushing a new collar.

Attachments

Reactions: OzLuvTrucker

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Nice! Its sure a plus when you don't have to fear screwing up a new crush sleeve by over tightening it. Now you can re and re a seal or drive flannel with just an impact gun!

·
Registered
123 Posts
OK, I have a question i ask on another post, does that sleeve your putting on press aginst both bearings?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A Solid or Crush Pinion Collar Preloads the inner and outer pinion bearing.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't find a production made collar for the 12 bolt so I had my machine shop make one for it that looks identical to the other one but fits the same way.

·
Registered
123 Posts
ok, look at this pic, the diff was noisy since i picked the trooper up, i have it switched out for another now, but this coller does not look right, it stops before it gets to the inner bearing.

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. They are supposed to contact.

·
Registered
123 Posts
think i'll call merlin up in the morning to see if he has one

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the teeth still look good on the ring and pinion, then a set of bearings, crush sleeve, and a new seal should fix it right up granted that the pinion shim is correct for the housing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
everything looks good, it just appears to me that something was replaced in there, by tale tale signs while tearing it apart. maybe a seal was replaced, and the wrong crush sleeve was used??

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A factory service manual will have all the torque specs, preload, and backlash you need to get it right. By the way, before I had the solid collar machined for my 12 bolt, I used a Toy 8 inch crush collar in the rear. So, this can get confusing. A Toyota 4 cyl 8 inch crush collar will work in a bind on the rear 12 bolt, probably the 10 bolt too, but I haven't verified that. A stock or aftermarket Toyota 4 cyl 8 inch solid collar will fit on the 10 bolt and will need to be cut down to length. It will NOT fit the 12 bolt though unless the ID on the small end is opened up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
got the seal and crush ordered from st charles

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The crush collar crush length is based on the particular housing and the preload setting. I actually had to have my solid collar cut slightly shorter than the crush to get the correct preload.

·
Registered
123 Posts
in this pic is the crush coller that isuzu sent me, it presses aginst the outer bearing and the first step up, i assume this is correct.

the lower pinion, and thanks to whoever posted that thread and pics, they were very helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is this on your 98 Trooper Rear Axle?

·
Registered
123 Posts
YES, the bottom pic is susposed to be a 12 bolt modified i think, and that is the coller i got new. looks like it should work, becouse it will preload the outer bearing against the step up, inturn doing the same for the inner one, although it is not against that one. my old one looks like it was put on by mistake, and it was like the upper pic,, the nut and spline was even doctored up with some kind of adhesive black material, probably becouse they couldn't get the preload right.

I'm just doing a cheap easy rebuild on this, might not ever use it again, but i'll have one ready to swap out, considering 2 out of 3 troopers i had, needed repaired.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62432&p=540677&hilit=pinion+bearing#p540677

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The top one looks like a factory Isuzu 12 bolt crush collar. Have you ever crushed one before? My guess is they take 3-400 ft/lbs of force to get one started. A cheater bar helped me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No but i'll be bolting it through the side bearing bolt holes to some sort of holding fixture, and i have a 250 lb torque wrench, and a very light one. lots of pipes around here, so i should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts