Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manual says to remove transmission before I remove engine. Why can't I just remove engine and leave transmission installed. 1985 trooper with 1.9 engine

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
hmm what manual do you have? theyre probably saying that because its easier to clear the front axel since the oil pan gets on the way, you can try loosening the transmission mount and that will give you room to move the tranny arround

·
Registered
221 Posts
My old 84 jackaroo (the same as your troopers) has the 2ltr engine and I pulled the engine on that leaving the transmission in place supported by some timbers in strategict places wired up to the chassis. Because the transmission cross member is a welded part of the frame on the early model Isuzus its a beast to get the transmission out at the best of times but it can be done, (if you need to know how I can tell you) ! The engine isn't all that easy to get out even with the transmission left behind but can be done with a little patiance and a lot of swearing.

Its about 6 years ago I last pulled the engine and I am trying to remember, I may have had to loosen the back gearbox mount and moved the box back a little to get enough clearance for the engine to come out, but it did definately come out with the tranny still in.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
oh its a bugger of a job :twisted: .

the oil pan is nearly touching the front diff

at least you have the 4sp trans its 5" shorter than the 5sp....

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
nfpgasmask said:
Why is it that everyone always wants to do it this way? Is it easier for some reason? I found dropping the tranny first is usually the way to go...

Bart
I agree. Trans jack under the trans, and bring it down so it's all at an angle, makes removing the trans to engine bolts so much easier.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Med!c said:
nfpgasmask said:
Why is it that everyone always wants to do it this way? Is it easier for some reason? I found dropping the tranny first is usually the way to go...

Bart
I agree. Trans jack under the trans, and bring it down so it's all at an angle, makes removing the trans to engine bolts so much easier.
With the early model jackaroo "with the early light chassis" and I think the pre 1987 troopers would be the same you can't just "lower the back of the transmission" because the crossmember the transmission sits on is welded to the chassis rails making it part of the frame. To remove the transmission you have to take the cast iron drop box off the side of the gearbox and then with the crossmember the back of the gearbox sits on still in place move the box backwards while turning it almost 90 degrees to clear the bellhousing from the back of the engine, then after jacking the engine up as far as you can get it you move the transmission forward and under the rear of the engine to clear the back of the transmission out of the crossmember. You have to take the drop box casing off so the gearbox will fit between the crossmember and the floorpan of the vehicle. The only other option is to cut the crossmember with an oxy acetylene plant or some type of angle grinder, meaning you have to weld it back together or fabricate something so you can refit the gearbox to the car. Removing the transmission with the engine in place can be done, I have done it twice, but it is a "BRUTE" and I advise anyone doing this on a light framed vehicle to leave the gearbox in place as much as possible and take the engine out through the engine bay in the normal way. I forget whether I had to move the box back a little to get the extra clearance to dissengage the clutch input shaft from the back of the engine, but I remember having clearance problems when the sump moved forward and hit the axle assembly.

Goodluck, its not an easy job , but it can be done.

·
Registered
221 Posts
SORRY, sounds like I might have been missunderstood.
I didn't want to be offensive or anything !

I have done the clutch on my old 84 and also replaced the gearbox and what I wrote previously is just the way it's done. Late last year I replaced the transmission in my 1988 and even though the box is bigger and heavier it is a lot easyer to do because the rear crossmember is detachable allowing you to work on it in the normal way, until they redesigned the chassis starting in 1987 they were a brute to do. I did crankshaft bearings on the 2 ltr engine in 2005 and left the transmission it the car and just took out the engine. Given the same job thats the way I would do it again.

Goodluck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts