Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for the last 3hrs and found a metric **** ton on auto hub and VAC operated 4wd failure but nothing on the ELECTRICALY operated axle acutator systems.

shifts into 4wd h, low and 2wd perfectly but wont acctuate the front axle.

the elec acutator works perfectly when jumped with 12v seperate source.

read some articals and post on reseting the 4wd tccm by holding down all 3buttons at the same time, that wont work as it has a dial and not individual buttons.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Assuming your vehicle is the same as my 01/02, the front axle actuator is controlled by the Shift On The Fly (SOF) controller which is located to the left of the center console kick pad under the dash. It communicates with the 4WD controller which is located under the center console cover. The SOF controller generates the axle actuator motor drive signals in response to a command from the 4WD controller. Your SOF controller may be defective.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Check the vacuum lines to the actuator. If the lines are good, see if the signal is going to the solenoids. There are 2 solenoids on the driver's side of the firewall. With the system in 2wd one will generate vacuum. In 4wd drive the other will. They move a fork in the actuator. If the vacuum doesn't get to the correct side of the actuator, the fork doesn't move. A common problem is that the controller doesn't turn on the correct solenoid or a solenoid is bad.

On my daughter's Rodeo, the controller works the transfer case (I can hear it shifting) but not the solenoids. So I just bypassed the solenoids and manually supply vacuum to the correct line leading to the actuator. Normally vacuum is supplied to the 2wd line, moving the fork so that the front axle spins freely. When she thinks that she might need 4wd, she supplies vacuum to the 4wd line locking the axle. She can still drive on drive pavement because the transfer case is in 2wd. She then hits the 4wd button and the transfer case shifts to 4wd and she has 4wd. She releases the button and the transfer case goes back to 2wd. When she no longer thinks that she might need 4wd, she moves the vacuum to the 2wd line.

Jerry said that this will not hurt anything. It may case a bit more wear and cost a bit of gas but less than a TOD equipped rig. Also, the 4wd light will blink rather than remain solid when the switch is in 4wd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts