Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i'm done with my stock shocks and am going to replace the shocks with OME this week. should i just go with the coils for the 1.5" lift too? i'm a little hesitant to mess around with the torsion bars - has anyone had long term trouble from cranking the torsion bars? also, can i just get shocks now and do the coils/lift later? are the shocks the same height either way?

any input would be appreciated! thanks!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Here is an article that Joe wrote about cranking the torsion bars to get lift. http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic ... hlight=cvs

This post discusses how it stiffens the ride. Smiley even included a diagram to explain it. http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=5127

The biggest problem associated with lifts seems to be the strain that it places on the CVs due to the increased angle of the axles. DOR has a kit to minimize this, but most just "live" with it. Starchild provided this write-up. http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic ... light=lift

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks hack. i called the local 4x4 shop and they tried to push me into rancho's 9000's vs OME. i think i'm going for the medium duty OME.
i don't need a lift and i don't need to break other parts - i save that kind of trouble for my CJ.

if anyone wants to chime in on the med vs heavy duty shocks, that would be appreciated

thanks again - martin

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I have never heard of a broken Torsion bar on an Isuzu. The lift is what it is. It will stiffen the ride, which in my opinion is a good thing as it gets rid of some body lean in turns.

Long term effects, I know of none. I have been driving on two different lifted Isuzu's for 5 years with not a problem one.

I don't know of anyone that has had problems with their Zu's due to cranked torsion bars. The Fords and Chevys tell you to adjust the bars when you add load like a snow blade etc..

Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I also have a 2002 model. (in australia though) I understand that the 2002 model had different springs to the earlier models, it was higher from factory. So when i purchased OME 40mm lift (1.5inches), it only actually lifted my car 10mm, (less than half an inch), as afer market springs are the same across the model range. Although there are a larger variety of OME springs in the US than here. So I used another aussie made spring and spring spacer to get 45mm in the rear. I have raised the front about 25mm (1 inch), and used OME shocks all round. It is stiffer, but has far less body roll. I have found that it now wobbles a little bit from side to side, however fitted some larger dish wheels fixed most of the wobble. I have had a 4wd mechanic check the angles of my front shafts and they have said they are fine, and can safely go higher

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think that if you don’t want to lift it and just replace the shocks, a cheaper (in price) alternative would be the Pro Comp ES3000.

I have been running those shocks on my Trooper for 2 years. With the original shocks, it used to sway too much while going thru curves. With the Pro Comps, it settled down quite a bit.

I have recently installed longer shocks on the back; I went with the Rancho 9000 and have set them in the middle range for now.
My Trooper is lifted 3 inches in the back and about 2 1/2 inches in the front. The ride is just fine for me not very harsh.

In the back I used the OME 919s with the 2â€

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone. if the 02 springs are in fact a bit higher, i'm guessing i could crank the torsion bars a bit to level out the front? there is a noticeable height difference bewteen the front and rear, even when loaded. i decided to run the ARB shocks which opens up the option for the lift/coils later.

thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
i'm done with my stock shocks and am going to replace the shocks with OME this week. should i just go with the coils for the 1.5" lift too?
I like the lift very much, particularly if you are going to bigger tires. It is almost a necessity if you go to 285/75s. It is stiffer than stock, but IMO the stock suspension is too flabby and tends to bottom out too easily. The OME coils will lessen body roll, and increase load capacity too. Highly recommended. And the OME shocks are outstanding too, I had them on my 99 Trooper.

i'm a little hesitant to mess around with the torsion bars - has anyone had long term trouble from cranking the torsion bars?
Understandable, but the 1" - 1.5" of cranking involved for the OME 912 lift is pretty minimal and does not stress the front drivetrain/suspension that anyone has noticed. You have to go to 3" or beyond to run into trouble.

also, can i just get shocks now and do the coils/lift later?
absolutely, that is what I did with my 99.

are the shocks the same height either way?
Yes...not an issue. With the OME lift you still will have the same suspension travel as before, just riding a little higher within the travel range. Although the OME shocks are a little longer than stock...I have the dimensions around here somewhere...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks big swede, lots of helpful info. my shocks should be here today! can't wait...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got these installed yesterday, feels like a new vehicle. i've been driving 2nd generation troopers for about 7 years, i can't believe i didn't replace the stock shocks sooner. i went with the OME firms and i'd say body roll and nose dive has been reduced about 65%-70%!!!!

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Yep 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.