Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CEL won't go away, gas mileage is in the crapper and with the sun-roof open, you can smell rich/foul exhaust. Took it to a shop and they found no voltage between PCM and EGR. I had him take the EGR off and look at the bottom; clean and pintle valve moves freely. And just for kicks I had him take one plug out from each side; clean and normal.

So then the shop prints out the six pages of test procedures and wants to begin - and I've already spent $90. in labor so I stop him - I'm poor.

Has anybody else gotten this code ? The EGR can't open and close as it's not getting line voltage.

?????????

And another thing...

I'm scared to death that I am going to ruin this engine after forgetting to check the oil sometime and I would be screwed. I am burning three quarts between 4k oil changes; I drive an hour each way to work.

Is a ring job or reman engine the only solution ?

???

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply !

Michael

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
The EGR valve has five wires :
Pin #4 5 VDC Reference Supply
Pin #2 5 VDC Reference Return
Pin #3 Pintle Position Feedback
Pin #5 Pintle Position Motor Control Signal
Pin #1 Pintle Position Motor Control Signal Return (Chassis Ground)

The 5 volt reference and return are applied to a potentiometer inside the EGR valve case. The pintle position feedback is the output signal from the potentiometer. As the pintle is moved open and shut by the control motor, it sends a voltage between 0.2 and 4.8 VDC (approximately) to the ECM that represents the position of the pintle.

The EGR valve 5 VDC supply conductors are connected in parallel with the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor, the MAP sensor and the Fuel Tank Vapor Pressure sensor. Because you do not have and DTCs set for these sensors it appears the 5 VDC being generated by the ECM. Check the voltages on EGR connector, it the 5 VDC is missing check for a broken connection at the other sensors. If the 5 VDC is present, check the output on PIN #3 while moving the pintle by hand. If there is no voltage the EGR valve is defective.

You will loose 2-3 mpg if the EGR valve does not function properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Buster,

Tested the EGR connection; got 4.9 volts between pins 2 and 4 and as well, did see the .2 to something fluctuation when moving the pintle valve by hand - that was with the EGR plugged into the connector and touching the probe to the outside of the wires, as best we could.

Visually checked the MAP and the coolant temp connections - all looked fine. I have no idea where to find the fuel tank vapor sensor (prob by the fuel tank ?)...

I'm not sure what the first shop I took it to was seeing that he thought there was no 5v from the ECM to the EGR.

ugh.

Appreciate your help...

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
4.9 VDC between Pins 2 & 4 indicates the correct reference voltage is being supplied to the EGR valve, so with the meter connected between Pin 3 & Pin 2 the meter should read between approximately 0.2 to 4.8 VDC as the pintle is moved by hand. If thats the result you got when you ran this test, you have an open circuit between Pin 3 of the EGR valve and Pin S67 on the ECM/PCM OR the initial diagnosis is incorrect. Go to Autozone and have them readout the DTC number(s) and post back these numbers before you do anything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts