Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have pulled my heads on my 00 3.2 rodeo to replace the head gaskets and have run into a few speedbumps. I was hoping the community could help me out.
I have two questions:

Before I pulled my timing belt, i made sure the cam gears hash marks for both heads and the crank hash mark were in proper alignment. But when I pulled the heads the passenger side head showed all valves closed, with cylinder 5 at TDC.
Yet the driver side heads had the intake valves open on cylinder 4 and the exhaust valves open on cylinder 6. Cylinder 2 valves were closed with cylinder 2 at TDC. (pic below with drivers side head on the right)

Is that correct? Or should I turn align the cam gear hash mark, on the drivers side head, so all the valves are closed?

In the second picture, you can see my driver side cylinders 2-4-6. If you notice, cylinder 4 shows very little carbon buildup. It is also my weakest cylinder. Does the lack of carbon build up indicate I am getting no spark? Or is it due to the lack of compression? (60 psi)

heads.jpg

246 cylinders.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
You need to clean that cylinder out, wipe it with cleaner and oil. Then shoot us another pic.
The valves will be different because of different cylinders firing. You really should take the heads and have them pressure tested to check for cracks unless you can visibly see something bad. Still have them cleaned and checked !!!

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
It's ok to roll the crank an move the piston further down for cleaning and inspection to. The marks will always be the same. (timing wise)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE.

I got my heads and the head gaskets back on. Truck seems to be running fine, with no coolant leaking into the oil.

Just a few comments.

I DID NOT REPLACE THE HEAD BOLTS. They were tight but using the proper removal sequence proved sucessful, removing the bolts with no problem.I DO NOT BELIEVE IT IS NECESSARY TO REPLACE THE HEAD BOLTS ON THE 6VDI ENGINE. ALTHOUGH I DID PURCHASE NEW HEAD BOLTS THEY MEASURED OUT TO THE SAME LENGTH AS THE OLD ONES.

I DID NOT HAVE MY HEADS PRESSURE TEST AND RE-MILLED. But i did clean them thouroughly with carb cleaner and lime away, using 1000 grit sandpaper sparingly.

The truck seems to have more power now, albeit not much, but noticeable.
The timing on the cams to crank was off, but easily remedied by pulling the valve covers and making sure the cams were in proper position, via photos i took when i pulled the heads.

The biggest problem I ran into was removing the head on the drivers side(usa version). The power steering pump was difficault to remove but necessary. I also had to disconnect the A/C line to to the compressor and remove the power brake booster to remove the exhaust manifold and valve cover.

I hope this is helpful to anyone who attempts the job. It was not too hard, just required removing quite a few peripheral items.

PS. Note your vacuum lines. I screwed up and am having to figure out where the fuel pressure regualtor and some other upper IMG lines go now.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
How did that cylinder clean up ??? Not sure if those have stretch bolts or not but if they not and they looked good - cool ... Hopefully it won't be a problem...
Good job man!!! that would be alot of tight corder work. I can attest to the power steering pump removal ...!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you.
Well, I have yet to check the compression on the low cylinder, but i am hoping it is higher with the new head gasket. I didn't have to clean it too much. Luckily, i didn't really have a lot of carbon build-up. Not as much as I expected anyways.
It is still possible that I may have a cracked ring on the low cylinder, but that will have to be a job for another time. I am just happy i saved the engine from self-destructing from the coolant leak.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Your lack of carbon build up in that cylinder is probably because it had coolant seeping in to it from the leaking head gasket, effectively steam cleaning it. Also the likely cause of the low compression in that cylinder. My understanding is the head bolts are one use only, not certain you really could tell the difference in length between new and used without a micrometer but I'm just speculating...no experience with them yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts