Trooper 2.6 custom snorkel questions

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Trooper 2.6 custom snorkel questions

Postby CalenK » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Everyone. I am planning my custom Snorkel for my 89 2.6 Trooper. I can't really find this info anywhere, and it could because it really doesn't matter, but I don't like changing anything on the truck unless I know all about it. I am going to do a steel pipe with a 45 bend at the top for the pre cleaner than flex hose at the bottom running into the cowel and not the engine compartment through a hole cut in the little towel door like other people have done. my question is from there. can I plumb it straight into the side of the air box? or do I have t route it/ connect it to the factory route through the grill infant of the radiator? or is that not important at all?

any other tips would be great. this is the lady its going on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
89 Trooper 2.6: 2.25" OME SL, 1" BL, 1 piece drive shaft, custom bumpers, Inti roof rack

CalenK
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Trooper 2.6 custom snorkel questions

Postby mudoilngears » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:15 pm

You can go directly to the box, the factory ducts before the box, are not watertight, and are only to reduce intake noise. Be aware that the wiper linkage is inside the cowl, make sure you don't make yur entry where it will interfere with that.
Last edited by mudoilngears on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby CalenK » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Perfect! what I wanted to hear. I had read some about using steel strap t hold the flex pipe away from the wiper. thanks!
89 Trooper 2.6: 2.25" OME SL, 1" BL, 1 piece drive shaft, custom bumpers, Inti roof rack

CalenK
Drives on Dirt

Postby CalenK » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Another quick one, the little water purge tube coming out of the bottom of the air box, is that fine left open after snorkel install? or should it get plugged?

CalenK
Drives on Dirt

Postby RickP » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Sounds like you want to do something similar to what Dave did here. http://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.p ... l#p5291362
RickP
Mud King

Have thanks: 44 times

Postby mudoilngears » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:00 pm

CalenK wrote:Another quick one, the little water purge tube coming out of the bottom of the air box, is that fine left open after snorkel install? or should it get plugged?

If you're going to be fording it should be capped. Make it removable so that you can drain any condensation/rainwater.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...

For this post the author mudoilngears was thanked by:
CalenK
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 65 times

Return to Drivetrain Mods